BladeSystem - General
1752671 Members
5675 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VC fiber interconnect uplink ports to different SAN switches in same fabric?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

VC fiber interconnect uplink ports to different SAN switches in same fabric?

We have a C7000 chassis with two Virtual Connect 20 port fiber interconnect modules.  We had two Brocade based SAN switches, each in it's own fabric.  Each interconnect went to a different switch, with all four external ports on each interconnect configured for the same fabric:

Interconnect bay 3

VC-FC port 1  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 1

VC-FC port 2  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 1

VC-FC port 3  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 1

VC-FC port 4  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 1

Interconnect bay 4

VC-FC port 1  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 2

VC-FC port 2  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 2

VC-FC port 3  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 2

VC-FC port 4  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 2

We've recently expanded our SAN structure with a second switch on each fabric.  Can we attach two of the uplinks of the interconnect to one SAN switch, and connect the other two interconnect ports to the second switch in the same fabric?

Interconnect bay 3

VC-FC port 1  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 1  

VC-FC port 2  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 1

VC-FC port 3  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 3 (same fabric as SAN switch 1)

VC-FC port 4  "SAN_1"->SAN switch 3 (same fabric as SAN switch 1)

Interconnect bay 4

VC-FC port 1  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 2 

VC-FC port 2  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 2

VC-FC port 3  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 4 (same fabric as SAN switch 2)

VC-FC port 4  "SAN_2"->SAN switch 4 (same fabric as SAN switch 2)

From what I understand, it should work OK, since the Virtual Connect uplink ports are configured to the "fabric", and the zoning on the SAN switches is based on the world wide name, so both switches in the same fabric would see the same names, but I was just looking for some confirmation.

Thanks.

Mike O.

2 REPLIES 2
TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: VC fiber interconnect uplink ports to different SAN switches in same fabric?

Hi Mike,

What you suggest appears to be true. To verify it, you may refer to  Figure 2: in the "FC Cookbook for HP Virtual Connect" on page 12. Click here for the cookbook.

Hope this helps you!!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thanks, that looks to be exactly the info I'm looking for.   I had looked in the VC cookbook, but forgot about the fiber channel-specific one.