HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCEM domain group with different VC modules

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

VCEM domain group with different VC modules

Juho had a customer question:

I have customer with VCEM implemented with VC Flex-10 modules in domain group. Can they add enclosures with Flex10/10d modules to same domain group? It states on 7.0U1 manual;

If you are using the HP VC FlexFabric 10 Gb 24-port module, ensure that the module status is

compatible. If the module is incompatible, an error message appears.

VCEM cannot manage a VC Domain that has one or more FC modules in an incompatible state.

The FC module can become incompatible in the following situations:

• An HP Virtual Connect 4 Gb FC module replaces an HP Virtual Connect 8 Gb 24-port FC

module.

• An HP Virtual Connect 8 Gb 24-port FC module replaces a HP Virtual Connect 4 Gb FC

module.

If two VC modules from different models (like a Flex-10 or a FlexFabric module or an FC 4

Gb and an FC 8 Gb) share the same I/O bay slice.

• If there are mixed VC FC 4 Gb and 8 Gb modules in the same I/O bay from different

enclosures in a multienclosure VC Domain.

So one cannot have enclosure with Flex-10 on bay1 & bay2  and another enclosure with similar io module placement but using Flex10/10D on same domain group?                                            

Info from Vincent:

No you can’t. Think about it if VCEM allowed such a config: what would happen if you put a domain with Flex-10/10D modules in maintenance and create a new SUS with uplink X9, exit maintenance, VCEM goes and tries to replicate the change to other domains in the domain group, what would it do on domains with Flex-10 modules which do not have a port X9 ?

Comments or questions?