1753500 Members
3757 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Vc assigned WWID's not visible

tricky6
Occasional Advisor

I'm fumbling around with VC and have ended up at a bit of a dead-end. We have fibre and ethernet VC modules and we are connecting to an HP San Switch 4/64 (OEM version of a 4900 so I gather). In the VC manager we have set it to use the HP Defined VC-assigned WWN addresses. When looking in the OA or through the VC manager the WWID's seem to be the HP assigned ones but when I use ILO to connect to one of the BL460's and go into the Emulex setup it reports it's node name as still being it's original hardware one rather than the HP-assigned one. Likewise when looking at our SAN switch it sees the factory-default hardware address rather than the VC-assigned address. Oddly enough 1 of the 8 blades currently in the enclosure DOES appear to be picking up a VC-assigned WWID but we can't work out why one should work but not any of the others. I've tried recreating the profiles aand swapping blades into different slots but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Can anyone offer me any pointers? Richard
3 REPLIES 3
David Billot
Frequent Advisor

You simply need to update the Boot BIOS of the Emulex HBAs. You can confirm this by viewing the BladeSystem compatibility matrix located at www.hp.com/go/bladesystem, look near the bottom of the page for the link to matrix. Or you can go directly to it by using this URL: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-compmatrix.html Thanks, Dave
Christos Simos

I have the same issue but with Qlogic, the real WWNs are presented and they can be detected through Name Server the HP-Pre_Defined 1WWNs are not visible in the Switch, NPIV is enabled (32port 4Gbs ports). do you believe it is a matter of Qlogic firmware?
David Billot
Frequent Advisor

Yes - The VC Manager is unable to update the Qlogic NVRAM unless the updated/certified boot BIOS version is applied. This is why the burned-in WWN is still being presented to the fabric. Thanks, Dave