5516 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual Connect 1GB SFP Uplinks

babaracus
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Connect 1GB SFP Uplinks

Hi,

I have a C7000 with 2 * Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules and am trying to connect 1gb SFP uplinks to our external cisco network. We don't have 10gb capable network switches at present so I was hoping that it would be possible to uplink via 1gb SFPs. However when I plug in Cisco SFP's (GLC-SX-MM) the virtual connect web interface lists the status as "Failed Validation" and list the Connector Type as "Incompatible". Can anyone provide info as to what type of 1gb SFP modules and fibre cables are compatible?

I get the same issue on both 3.60 and 4.20 firmwares.

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisTan_1
Advisor

Hi,

from the quickspecs and assuming you want to use an RJ45 connection:

HP BLc Virtual Connect 1Gb RJ-45 Small Form Factor Pluggable Option Kit 453154-B21

You cannot use a Cisco SFP, but you can use some Cisco Direct Access Cables.

Here's the quickspec: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04118441.pdf

ChrisTan_1
Advisor

Opps, noticed you may want the SX instead:

HP BLc Virtual Connect 1Gb SX Small Form Factor Pluggable Option Kit 453151-B21

babaracus
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks, I have ordered the HP SFP's, lets see if these work... will post back result.

Disappointing that other SFP's are not supported, seeing as though other SFP+ are supported.

Casper42
Respected Contributor

Other SFP+ are not supported.
This is how most network vendors work.
HP Transceiver on the HP Side, Cisco Transceiver on the Cisco side.

Other DAC cables (SFP+ with TwinAx cabling) are supported.
This is because its impossible to produce a cable that is Half HP and Half Cisco since the SFP+ connectors are molded into the cable for DACs.
raf2
Frequent Advisor

Did you get this working? I'm having the same issue with some Flex10/10D modules showing up with failed validation using HP SPF modules!

I'm using HP JD118B modules which are LC SFP SX modules.  I'm going to be sad if I have to buy bladesystem specific SFP modules per the spec.

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hi @raf2

The Flex10/10D does not support the JD118B modules.  However, there is a list of supported transceivers under the related options tab here.  If you want to stick with a 1G connection, the HP BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect 1G SFP SX Transceiver is your best option.  Let me know if this answers your question and if there is anything else I can do for you.  Hope this helps!​​

raf2
Frequent Advisor

I ended up buying some HP compatible SFP's for a decent price.. China origin I'm sure.

I don't get why the VC modules need a specific SFP modules versus any other edge networking device. These should be standards that everyone follows.

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hi @raf2

I am delighted that you found the HP compatible SFP's at a decent price.  Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you.