6025 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual Connect Brocade FC Zoning

hpcahmpion
Frequent Visitor

Virtual Connect Brocade FC Zoning

Hi All,

When connecting two Virtual Connect FC uplink ports from one VC interconnect module to a single Brocade switch is there a need to also include the VC uplink node WWNNs, in addition to the WWPNs, to allow for proper NPIV failover on the brocade switch?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

You may refer to section 'Virtual Connect fabrics > Managing fabrics' in the HP Virtual Connect for c-Class BladeSystem User Guide for more information.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

hpcahmpion
Frequent Visitor

Maybe I am missing something but I do not see anything in the virtual connect user guide that discusses how to properly zone an external FC switch to ensure NPIV failover works correctly.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Good question.

Never done this so far.

But the guide says

"Because the uplink ports for VC-FC and FlexFabric modules are N-ports, the modules can be connected to
any data center Brocade, McData, Cisco, or Qlogic FC switch that supports the NPIV protocol. When the
server blade HBAs or FlexFabric adapters log in to the fabric through the VC-FC or FlexFabric modules, the
adapter WWN is visible to the FC switch name server and can be managed as if it was connected directly.
"

So I assume you create zones based on the (virtual or real) WWN of the server adapters just like you would do without virtual connect.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
hpcahmpion
Frequent Visitor

Yes, Understood. But in order to get NPIV failover top work it is my understanding that the WWNN numbers aslo have to be added into the FC Switch zoning.

I found the belwo regarding emulux cards and VMware. I am looking for something similar for VC.

Deployment guide Emulex: Virtual HBA Solutions http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emulex.com%2Fartifacts%2F59b4fdb0-0733-4d6d-979e-5cbaf571dd52%2Felx_wp_all_deploymentguide_virtual-hba.pdf&ei=zKiLVNGjGMGhNvW6hIgB&usg=AFQjCNGlM_NKnhkbyYG7fkcy7k21iurg1g&sig2=R4uoC5OCLGGUci0rGMhHzA

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Hi!

We had to also include the VC FC adapter's WWN in the zone as well. Before we added it the VMAX storage did not see any of the server HBA's.

Regards,

Louis