BladeSystem Virtual Connect
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Connect - Fibre Channel Multi-Enclosure Stacking ... Does "same config" imply "same VC-FC module type"

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect - Fibre Channel Multi-Enclosure Stacking ... Does "same config" imply "same VC-FC module type"

Charles had a stacking question:

From the ME Stacking Whitepaper I can see:

“Virtual Connect Fibre Channel does not support ME Stacking using the physical uplink port

connections. All enclosures in a single stack must have the identical VC-FC module placement and

configuration in each enclosure.”

Does this imply that if I have a VC-FC 4 Gbps x20 in Enclosure No.1, I can’t have a VC-FC 8 Gbps x24 in Enclosure No.2

staked under it ?  Would I be prevented from using 8Gpbs speed or all 8 ports in the second enclosure ?  Any other “Gotchas” ?!

Mark provided some clarity:

It has to have the same # of Uplinks.

The Qlogic-based VC-FC modules 4Gb x20 and 8Gb x20 can be used together in the same FC-Bay Group in a ME solution.

The Brocade-based VC-FC modules 8Gb x24 cannot be used in the same FC-Bay Group with the Qlogic-based modules simply because it has 8 uplinks and this would cause issues with profile mobility and mappings between enclosures.

For example, if Enclosure 0 has VC-FC 4 Gbps/20 port and you attempt to Import Enclosure 1 that has VC-FC 8Gbps/24 Port, those modules will be marked “Incompatible” and the Domain will be Degraded.

To answer your uplink speed question, when using Q-logic 4Gb and 8Gb together, the Uplink speed is dependent on the settings in VC, so you can have Enclosure 0 with 4Gb links and Enclosure 1 with 8Gb links.

The only time you can mix Brocade 8Gb/24 and Q-logic 4Gb/20 or 8Gb/20 would be different Bay Groups.

Example….

Enclosure 0

Bay 1 – VC Ethernet

Bay 2 – VC Ethernet

Bay 3 – VC 4Gb/20

Bay 4 – VC 4Gb/20

Bay 5 – VC 8Gb/24

Bay 6 – VC 8Gb/24

Enclosure 1

Bay 1 – VC Ethernet

Bay 2 – VC Ethernet

Bay 3 – VC 4Gb/20

Bay 4 – VC 4Gb/20

Bay 5 – VC 8Gb/24

Bay 6 – VC 8Gb/24

Make sense?

Any other input? Are you using stacking for your Fibre Channel modules?