4858 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual Connect - Smart Link issue.

Aleksein
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Connect - Smart Link issue.

Hello all.
We have some issues with the Virtual Connect.
Our infrastructures:
C7000, 2 HP VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24, 4 servers BL460c and 2 Aruba 2920 Switch
The Virtual Connect is connected to two HPe switches 2920 in a stack.
Virtual Connect bay 1 port x5 connect to switch-1 port 10 and port x6 to switch-2 port 10.
Virtual Connect bay 2 port x5 connect to switch-1 port 11 and port x6 to switch-2 port 11.
4 servers BL460 with a network adapter BL650:
All servers have 2 networks:
NETWORK-1 is management and backup VLAN with Shared UPlink and Smart Link.
NETWORK-2 is trunk VLANs, with Shared UPlink and Smart Link.

The problem is - when I boot the Switch 2920 (The Stack) all ports of the blade servers switched to down.
It causes the cluster to lose the network!
We work with Hyper-v 2016, and the management network should be up all the always for the Heartbeat.

My question is - if I will disable the Smart Link on management network that network local will continue to work even if all Shared UPlink is down?

Thank you a lot!
Aleksei.

3 REPLIES 3
Prashanth27

Hello Aleksein,

Enabling smart link configures the network so that if all external links lose their link to external switches, Virtual Connect (VC) drops the Ethernet link on all local server blade Ethernet ports connected to that network.

Example: 

Two VC uplink ports are connected in a trunk to two ports on the Cisco switch. The VC smart link feature will drop the Ethernet link to the server blade Ethernet port if both of the two VC uplink ports lose their link. If only one VC uplink is lost, the smart link feature will not drop the link to the server blade Ethernet ports.

Thank You,

Prashanth

I am a HPE Employee
Aleksein
Occasional Advisor

Prashanth, thank you for your answer!

I so that information on the HPe documentation. But I don't have a lot of experience with c7000 and HPe flex fabric.
And I try to understand if the smart link disabled on the network with shared uplink and both uplinks will disconnect (both uplinks connected to the external switch in a stack and all stack is down) - the local network between the blades will continue to work correctly?

Thank you,

Aleksei

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

yes

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus