Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Connect Stacking

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect Stacking

Pere had a Virtual Connect scenario and stacking question:

**************************************************************************************************************

A Multi-Enclosure stacking escenario:

- Original enclosure with: VC-Net 1/10-F and HP 4Gb Virtual Connect Fibre Channel Module. Configured and on production for two years.

- New enclosure to be stacked: VC-Net Flex-10 and HP Virtual Connect 8Gb 24-Port Fibre Channel Module

We have a doubt regarding the possibility to stack these enclosures, due to limitations on the VC-FC part. The manual is saying that when VC-FC is implemented in a multi-enclosure domain, all enclosures must have identical VC-FC module placement and cabling. That's ok, but: can we stack enclosures with VC-FC different models?

If yes, which will be the recommended steps to proceed. We will have production scheduled window so "hardcore" manipulations will be allowed. It is ok that the base enclosure is runned by the 1/10-F or better to use the Flex-10 as baseline modules?

*************************************************************************************************************

Mark had the answer:

**************************************************************************************************************

To answer your question..

These two can be together in a VC-FC “Slice” within a ME Domain.

HP Virtual Connect 4Gb Fibre Channel Module

HP Virtual Connect 8Gb 20-Port Fibre Channel Module

Within a ME Domain using the 24-port VC-FC module, only other 8Gb 24-port modules can be used.

HP Virtual Connect 8Gb 24-Port Fibre Channel Module

The base enclosure is already running VC 1/10-F, so to change that will require downtime and reconfiguration.

From a management perspective, the Flex-10 module could process certain configurations faster, but I’m not sure how noticeable it would be, never analyzed it. The VC Flex-10 has a faster processor and more memory than the VC 1/10-F.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Answer some of your questions? Do you do Multi-Enclosure stacking with Virtual Connect?