3558 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect and VMware vSwitch question

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Virtual Connect and VMware vSwitch question

Mike had a customer question:

I have the following from one of my customers.  He’s using BL460/BL490 G6’s with VC Flex-10.  Not sure of the current FW version.  Any thoughts?

Question:  When using the Virtual Connect is there a specific type of Load Balancing required on the VMware virtual switches?  We are running ESX 4.1 with vmxnet3 drivers and standard virtual switches connecting through the HP Bladeframe to a physical Nexus 5k switch.  I listed the 4 options below.  We are currently running “Route based on the originating virtual port ID” which is not failing over properly.

1.  Route based on the originating virtual port ID  2.  Route based on IP hash  3.  Route based on source MAC hash  4.  Use explicit failover order.

From Dan:

Those are load balancing choices and don't necessarily have anything to do with failover.

If they are configured for Active Active uplinks, make site they have Smart Link turned on for all networks that exit the chassis.

Virtual Connect does not support "Route based  IP hash" load balancing, so your "route based on the originating virtual port ID" setting should be fine.

Other comments or questions?