BladeSystem - General
1752801 Members
5727 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual Connect - can you direct connect devices to this?

anthonypoh
Occasional Visitor

Virtual Connect - can you direct connect devices to this?

Quick question:

Can you direct attach devices to a VC ethernet or FC port?

For example if I had a MSA2312fc, can I direct connect this to 2 uplink ports on the VC-FC?

Likewise, if I had a iSCSI device (eg. lefthand), would I be able to connect this directly via 2 uplink ports on the VC-eth? (and with regards to this, will several blades be able to access this storage?)

1 REPLY 1
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: Virtual Connect - can you direct connect devices to this?

Answer from Steve in our techincal group:

Can you direct attach devices to a VC ethernet or FC port?

For example if I had a MSA2312fc, can I direct connect this to 2 uplink ports on the VC-FC?

(Steve) NO, you can’t connect anything to the VC-FC module other than a switch.  You will require a switch between the VC-FC module and the MSA.

Likewise, if I had a iSCSI device (eg. lefthand), would I be able to connect this directly via 2 uplink ports on the VC-eth? (and with regards to this, will several blades be able to access this storage?)

(Steve) Yes, you can connect a server device (LHN included) to a VC uplink port configured for a vNet.  BUT, the vNet that the server connects to can have uplinks configured that ONLY connect to THAT server. 

You can’t have a vNet or SUS that is connected to a switch and then add an uplink for a server to connect to.

Hope this helps.