7672 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual Connect configuration

Brazil_1
Advisor

Virtual Connect configuration

Hello,

I have a question on how I can achieve networking requirements within the following scenario.

I have an ESX and VC Flex 10 environment which has been configured and running for the past year. The VC modules currently have three Shared Uplink Sets defined. Each of the Shared Uplink Sets have an External Uplink Port on each VC modules in the enclosure. There are therefore three external uplink ports attached to each VC module.

I have defined and am using server profiles with 8 ethernet adapter connections. Port 1 and 2 both have VLAN's A, B and C attached to them Port 3 and 4 have VLAN's D, E and F attached to them, Port 5 and 6 have VLAN's G, H and I attached to them and Port 7 and 8 have VLAN's J, K and L attached to them.

I now have a requirement to add a new Shared Uplink Set to the enclosure. Traffic coming down this connection comes from a new switch and needs to remain separate from the other Shared Uplink Sets. I would like create a new Shared Uplink Set for the new exteral uplinks and create a new Ethernet Network. I would then like to add an additional two ports to the server profile to handle the new VLAN. Is there a limit to the number of ports which can be used in a server profile? Can I go beyond 8? If this is not possible is there any other way to achieve my goal?

Many thanks,

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

Re: Virtual Connect configuration

what's your server blade? is it half height blade G6 or G7 server? If so, the onboard LOM will only give you max 8 flexNICs because you have 2 10G LOM port and each 10G LOM port can be divided up to 4 FlexNICs.

you have 3 options

1) stick with half-height blade. then you have to add mezz card for extra NICs but the moment you go for Mezz card, you also need to buy extra VC modules and put it in slot 3 and 4.

2) get a full width blade like BL620G7, the full width blade will give you 4 LOM 10G ports so you can have up to 4x4=16 FlexNICs ports

3) don't spend money but somehow can consolidate your existing vlans so you can save one extrac NICs for the new vlans to use

VC server profile is logical concept, you can keep add NIC connections, it all depends on what physical blade is capable of.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

Brazil_1
Advisor

Re: Virtual Connect configuration

Hello,

many thanks for your reply.

The blades are BL495c G5 in a c7000 enclosure. I think that I am going to have to go down option 3 and see if I can get the new VLAN to go down an existing uplink.

Many thanks,

Ben