5036 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Virtual connect Flex Fabric 10Gb/24-port questions

TechC
Regular Advisor

Virtual connect Flex Fabric 10Gb/24-port questions

Hello,

We are implementing the HP C7000 blade chassis with some bl460c g7 blade servers.

We will be using the p4000 series iSCSI SANs for storage.

We also want to connect an HP Tape library via fibre channel to one of the blade servers via interconnect on the C7000 chassis.  We would like to use the Virtual Connect Flex Fabric 10Gb/24-port modules as our interconnects for the blade servers and to attach the FC library Can someone please tell me what connectors and mezzanine cards are  needed if any to make this work? Also what additional licenses if any are needed to facilitate the Virtual Connect functionality?

I have read up on the Virtual Connect Flex Fabric 10Gb/24-port module and while it says it allows you to bring Ethernet, Fibre Channel, and high performance iSCSI into a single module., I cannot seem to find exactly what connectors I need and if it will indeed allow my blade servers and FC tape library to connect up to the chassis.

Thank you

Jimmy

1 REPLY 1
chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Re: Virtual connect Flex Fabric 10Gb/24-port questions

Hopefully some answers:

1. No additional licenses are needed.

2. I got this info from the VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-port specs for FC SAN connectors. Remember that the VC FlexFabric module is NOT a FC SAN switch and you need to connect it to one that is part of the tape library or other.

Fibre Channel Optical Transceivers   HP 8Gb Shortwave B-series Fibre Channel 1 Pack SFP+ Transceiver AJ716A HP 8Gb Long Wave B-series 10km Fibre Channel 1 Pack SFP+ Transceiver AJ717A HP StorageWorks 8Gb Short Wave Fibre Channel SFP+ 1 Pack AJ718A HP 4Gb Short Wave B-series Fibre Channel 1 Pack SFP Transceiver AJ715A HP 4Gb Long Wave B-series 30km Fibre Channel SFP Transceiver 1 Pack AN211A HP StorageWorks 4 Gb Short Wave Single Pack SFP Transceiver A7446B

3. Each FlexFabric Adapter NIC on the servers can be split into 4, FlexNICs and that the second FlexNIC can be configured as a FlexHBA to talk to FC SAN ports X1 thru X4 on the VC FlexFabric module as FC SAN uplinks.

Have you looked at the

• NEW! - Virtual Connect FlexFabric Cookbook 
  •  

for additional info?