108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Virtual connect flex-10 VNET

ilay23
Occasional Advisor

Virtual connect flex-10 VNET

Hi all

I am confused a bit about the concept of VNET

I have blade c7000 where vmware is installed can I create one VNET tunnet to pass many vmware vlan to the network?

i know that this could be done but how?

and what is the concept of Vnet?

thanks a lot for your help

5 REPLIES 5
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Take a look at my blog item with the (I hope) all explaining picture:

http://www.bitcon.be/?p=801

Also take a look at the Cisco document mentioned below for more information of what you need to do on Cisco switch side (since they use other naming conventions)...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
ilay23
Occasional Advisor

hi thanks for your fast reply

but what i got from my reading is that shared uplink set is used to make multiple vnet go out throug the same uplink port

my question is can i create one vnet on the vc-flex 10 and make it pass many vlan through only one port ?

for example if on the vmware i have vlan1 and vlan2 an vlan3 can i create on the vc-flex10 only vnet1 and configure it on tunnel mode to handle all this 3 vlans?

what i want exactly is whatever the vlans created on the vmaware to be able to go out through the virtual connect to the network

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Currently I don't have a test environment to try it out but if I well remember you have to select at 1 moment in time of the configuration of Virtual Connect for Map VLANs or Tunnel VLANs... In your case you have to select Tunnel VLANs... I know at my customer sites I select the other one...

Also take definitely a look at the Virtual Connect Cookbook... All possible scenarios are defined, yours should be there also in it...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01990371/c01990371.pdf

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ilay23
Occasional Advisor

can you help me to understand what is a vnet ?

when to create multiple vnet?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hard to tell in some sentences on a forum, the Virtual Connect training takes 2 days, there is a reason for that...

A vNet is the simplest network config that you can create, just forward the trafic without a lot of configuration or hasle...

I suggest to create always 2 vNets for the left and the right module, some call it left and right, some A and B, some 1 and 2...

If you create just 1 vNet (scenario 1 in the PDF) it will be a active/passive connection if you take a look in the OS teaming software. If you go for 2 vNets, you will have a active/active trafic... Much better for performance...

Usage of vNets allows to create bigger 'pipes' via LACP for more bandwidth and it is also possible to pass VLAN's on it towards the servers...

However if you want full control of which VLAN packet must pass to which connection on which server port, you should go for the SUS Shared Uplink Set which gives you full config possibilities...

Kr,

Bart