BladeSystem - General
1753667 Members
5751 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Will Cisco 3120 blade switches and VC-FC modules work in the same enclosure?

Skip McDowell
Occasional Advisor

I have a client with a c7000 that currently has VC-Enet modules in slots 1 thru 4 and VC-FC modules in slots 5 and 6 and he wants to replace the VC-Enet modules with Cisco 3120 switches and retain the VC-FC modules. Is this doable? -Skip
7 REPLIES 7
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Nope. the VC-FC config is kept in the VC-Enet modules in slots 1 & 2. What does he need/require 3120s for?
Skip McDowell
Occasional Advisor

It's a Cisco-centric shop and they have never been happy or comfortable for that matter trying to configure the VC-Enet modules to handle ESX hosts, Windows servers with teamed nics, clustered Windows servers, and Windows servers running NLB all in the same enclosure. I've gone through the "cookbook" many times and could never come up with a scenario that would work. -Skip
mkastelijn31

No. With VC-EF you always need the VC-Ethernet modules in interconnect bay 1 and 2, because the Virtual Connect Manager is running on the VC-E modules and not on the VC-Fiber Channel modules. Call HP Support and ask for the most recent VC Cookbook. The VC cookbook on the hp web is only discussing a few scenario's while the most recent cookbook has up to 12 scenario's. That will discuss NLB with Windows and the use of VMware more completly. See also www.hp.com/go/vc
konakcc
Advisor

According to the docs on the HPVC fiber module, there is a way to hard code the uplinks on the FC module, but as mentioned above you loose any use of VCM or VCEM.
Skip McDowell
Occasional Advisor

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Do you know which document specifically? -Skip
konakcc
Advisor

I have only used the 4GB module, and in the user guide that came with the product it talks about the jumpers on the board. Now, I dont know if this is officially supported by HP, but I get the impression, you can hard code the board to work like a pass-through module. Looks like they changed the docs: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01732252/c01732252.pdf Pages 22-27 used to show you how to enable 1/2/4 uplinks via internal switches. But it looks like they have removed that info. So looks like it will take some experimenting.
Skip McDowell
Occasional Advisor

Thanx for the assist, the 4GB modules are the ones I have as well. I just pulled one and took the cover off and I see the switches you are talking about. Hopefully I can find some older documentation that references the settings. Thanx again for your help, -Skip