Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

c7000 stacking question...

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

c7000 stacking question...

Mike had a Virtual Connect stacking question from a customer:

Customer wants to stack c7000’s so that bladeA in c7000 #1 can communicate with bladeB in C7000#2 without having to go to uplink switches.

My thinking on this is that basically they would create a vNet with no uplinks, then assign the network (vNet) to all desired blades in the server profiles -- with the stacking links providing the communication path.

My question is…Is there an “official” doc on how to set this up?

I checked the VC Cookbook and there is a scenario for Private Networks (Simple vNet)..but not stacked…

Any help would be very much appreciated…

Thanks!!

From Carl:

Any servers connected to the same vnet  will talk to each other without using uplinks if they are in the same stack. The vnet can have uplinks – they will not be used unless traffic needs to egress the chassis.

And from Steve:

So, if you create the vNet you mentioned….  But add a single uplink, then do the same in the other enclosure and connect them together.  This will work with a single uplink to that vNet.  Again this will work, much like using a cross connect between two servers, if you need to add a third enclosure, you will need to link through a switch.

Comments? Here is a link to the Multi-Enclosure Stacking document for help:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02102153/c02102153.pdf