108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: BladeSystem Gen8 Severs and VMware question

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

BladeSystem Gen8 Severs and VMware question

VMware question from Jean-Yves:

Hi Expert

One of my customer is facing an issue with ProLiant Gen 8 servers under Vmware ESXi. The VMs freeze from time to time

The solution is to deactivate in the BIOS the Energy Economy ! Is someone aware of that issue ?

Is there a Bios version that correct this bug?

Thanks for your help

Reply from Bob:

Consider reading the Technical Whitepaper "Configuring and tuning HP ProLiant Servers for low-latency applications"

There are also various VMware guest settings that reduce the abstraction and make them closer to the hardware that could possibly lead to anomalies.

You could be having a problem related to changing of clock frequencies.

If your network adapters are high performance, there are numerous possibilities for packet skew that can hang a guest.

If you have a guest that is performing the backups of other servers, you should consider de-virtualizing it.

I seem to remember that you always wanted the BIOS settings to be set to "High Performance" and not use any power saving settings with VMware.

Other comments?

1 REPLY 1
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Re: BladeSystem Gen8 Severs and VMware question

So..

How did you go with the case Chuck ?

Does the VMware vSphere using DPM to standby the server as well or just make all of those ESXi servers up and running using the highest performance BIOS power profile ?

I'm also curious to know it as well.

Best regards,