BladeSystem - General
1752806 Members
5740 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Is Anyone planning Windows 2008 Virtualisation on HP C Class with BL460c Blades?

srtyler

Is Anyone planning Windows 2008 Virtualisation on HP C Class with BL460c Blades?

Hi All I'm looking at C Class Enclosure with BL460c Proliant Blades that have dual Quad Core 5400 Intel Xenon's and loaded with RAM with virtualised storage on EVA 4400 SAN. I'm looking to create a virtual environment with Windows 2008 Server Core and Hyper-V (When released) to move legacy systems into and to host new environments. Is anyone else planning for this type of deployment..? and if you are how do you think the BL460c's will handle Hyper-V as a base for virtualisation? Thanks SRT
1 REPLY 1
chopper3
Frequent Advisor

Hi, one of my labs we used for HV-evaluation is almost exactly that configuration (EVA8100 over 4400). Certainly it will work, and work fine, the biggest problem you may face is that HV doesn't expose the FC HBA to the guest VMs, so they might struggle getting certain MS-clusters working such as SQL Server which generally wants a single shared block-level LUN to hold it's databases. Personally I think HV is a very good version 1.0 product, unfortunately it IS only a version 1.0 product and doesn't offer anything over VMWare/Xenserver other than price. I'm sure they'll throw enough money at the problem over the coming years but right now it's not 'Enterprise Ready' and I certainly would put any production systems on it unless they were very 'light' indeed and unless my business could sustain outages.