BladeSystem Virtualization
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the HP Customized vSphere 5.5 U1 June 2014 ISO

David Claussen
Regular Advisor

Problem with the HP Customized vSphere 5.5 U1 June 2014 ISO

I have a BL460c G6 and a BL460c Gen8, in the same enclosure, both with firmware updated by SPP2014.6 and built with the HP Customized vSphere 5.5 U1 June 2014 ISO. Both of them are in my SolarWinds Orion system being monitored via SNMP. Both are flapping, for lack of a better term, in Orion on all network interfaces. One refresh and everything is fine, the next – half of the interfaces are down, the next – all interfaces are unknown and then back to normal. I tried to discover these servers, via SNMP, in another monitoring system we have, but each time I try the discovery, different devices/interfaces are found – never is everything found.

 

I rebuilt another BL460c G6, in the same enclosure, with all the same parameters as above, but I used the VMware supplied ESXi v5.5 install ISO and then updated the server using VUM and the JUNE VIB from HP. No flapping – no issues – everything is fine.

 

I am not looking for help here as I think I found the problem – using the HP Customized vSphere 5.5 U1 June 2014 ISO to install.

 

I am posting this to the HP forums to see if anyone else has had the issue and/or to report the issue. Perhaps I can prevent someone else from wasting two days trying to figure out why this is happening.

1 REPLY
meteorx
Occasional Contributor

Re: Problem with the HP Customized vSphere 5.5 U1 June 2014 ISO

I'm using the 460c G8 too, and per recommendation from HP support installed with the Customized image. I have other issues; after reboot the server might or might not see its storage, 50/0 chance. New reboot and everything is fine.

Also, since I'm booting from an SD card, I have created a log volume on persistent storage and pointed the syslog settings there. Worsk fine until reboot, when ESXi insist on putting a [] in front of the path. After I manually change it, logging works fine...