4936 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

For any critical reason, Have you called Oracle Support

ezhilarasan_1
Occasional Advisor

For any critical reason, Have you called Oracle Support

Hi all,

I hope, lot of DBA would have contacted the Oracle Support directly in the phone for some critical errors which you were not able to resolve. Forget about creating Forumns and TAR files.

Please some of you share your experience here. I hope, these are due to abnormal behaviour of the system which are beyond our knowledge. So these will be quit interesting and helpful for others.

Please share your experience of the problems and the solution give by Oracle Corporation.

Thanks and Regards
Ezhil
5 REPLIES 5
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Re: For any critical reason, Have you called Oracle Support

As we are running SAP on Oracle most of our database related issues are resolved directly by SAP or by searching SAP Notes.

We never reached so bad a situtaion in which SAP could not support us or have to contact Oracle finally. (Wish that day should not come).

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Compared to HP Oracle Support in Europe is not worth the money they ask.
Trying to push you to the Metalink Tar creation without phone connection is only one of many things. I work with the products of this company for more than ten years now, but the support went down and down and down by every year. If you get someone on the phone, most things you hearis 'why not using Metalink ?' or if they want to solve something, they send you some lines cut from the documentation. It is a real shame, that a good product has such a bad reputation in support.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Nicolas Dumeige
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

If you open an SR at metalink and you have gold support, you can put you problem in priority 1. In that case, it is dealt with on a 24/24h 7/7 days basis.

We had a major problem twice with Oracle Express (not the RDBMS) and did get full attention of Oracle. Still, we had to wait 35 day to get a real solution, and the problem came from a patch !

If the problem is serious enought, chances are that the support will need help from developpement at Oracle, i.e. it can take quite a while do get a fix or even a work around.

Cheers

Nicolas
All different, all Unix
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

hmmmm...I wish I could. Everytime I have been involved in an Oracle problem, it is always one of their famous...could be anything wrong errors.

DBA's place the call to Oracle, who promptly says, they believe it is O/S related, please check with your UNIX Administrator.

....it's nothing to do with the O/S, and by the time Oracle gets back to you - between UNIX Admin and DBA's we got it fixed.

..I luv it when they ask "what did you do ?"
My response has been .. " I chose not to wait for you...bye" ...and post the resolution on the Forums, where the best help is always provided.

Now I am sure the DBA's do get help from Oracle Support....they should cause we're paying a fortune for it..

Rgrds,
Rita

The sad part is how much is paid for Oracle Support
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Oracle Support has always worked fine for me. I've already get support from Australia by phone and have just the Bronze level...

Well, I think you need to know why they want you to use Metalink:

- That's the only way to get all the issue written and saved in there Database
- With the iTAR database they can build Notes for others to read and solve there problems without opening a iTAR
- The iTAR can be scaled to a higher importance level and the support analyst can pass it to another collegue.

You can't do all this on the phone!
Each and every day is a good day to learn.