Tony Drake_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Recover OS via backups only

Thanks Mobeen. Now I understand.
Rashid Hamid
Regular Advisor

Hi Tony

I suggest for HPUX OS you should use the ignite-ux to recovery the os. Meaning that you must run make_tape_recovery to backup the OS. On top of that, for the rest file system you can use Veritas Netbackup. In order to recover the entire system, you need the OS to be recover first. The best way is to boot the system using the ignite tape. I've done it before...
Same goes to AIX box, you can recover the rootvg using mksysb tape and use veritas to recover the rest.

Regards
Rashid
I'm Parit Madirono/Parit Betak Boyz
Steve White_7
Advisor

Hi Tony,

In attempting to recover entire systems a combination of utilities is generally required. The corporate backup is the primary line of defense for your data, there is difficulty in having it recover the environment.

I use ignite for hpux, you must update the image each time a change to the system on the root volume group occurs. If you patch the system, change a password the ignite image has to be updated.

I use ghost for Intel based systems and then of course the corporate backup. The lines of defence I generally only apply to critical or mission critical environments. I also store the ignite and ghost images in a fireproof safe.

There is a lot of effort required to manage this well that is why it is reserved to critical environments.

HTH