New Discussion юеВ

business continuity plan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karl_
Frequent Advisor

business continuity plan

Hi all,

I just need some inputs regarding your business continuity plan. I want to get the best practices and apply it in our company.

We have many production servers scattered around Asia. (Philippines, China, Indonesia, India, etc.) This servers are connected via wide area network. We want to have a business continuity plan for these servers but we cannot afford to buy a backup server for each country. What do you think is the best alternative solution for us? What are the other solution other than buying a backup server? I have heared that there are new IT companies that offers servers for rent in an event of an emergency. Is this real and is it cost effective?

Your input is highly appreciated.

k a r l
4 REPLIES 4
Fred Metcalf
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: business continuity plan

Karl,
For every critical server we subscribe with HP BCS for servers to be made available for 60 days in the event of site disasters. Includes 2 test (5 days ea) per year. This gives us time to replace the lost systems and repair or relocate our site.

http://www.hp.com/hps/continuity/
or start at www.hp.com, switch to your country and surf under 'Services' link.

Fred
Missing MPE :-)
Fred Metcalf
Trusted Contributor

Also discuss with HP Services their IT Best Practices Workshop. This establishes cost of downtime as determined by your senior business managers and helps to focus on the real high availability and continuity needs of your business.
Missing MPE :-)
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

k a r l
Yes you are right on what you have heard. I was working on a BCP/DR solution for my previous employer and have met personally many companies that provide the kind of service you mentioned.

The way this works is as follows

1. You pay certain amount per annum

2. In return for the amount that you pay
you will be entitled to get the servers
as and when you have a disaster.

3. The servers will be supplied to you
as per the agreed time.

I have had negotiations with lot of companies in APAC region and in the end stopped pursuing this approach as

1. The annual costs to avail this service was much higher than expected.

If you need any additional details let me know. I would suggest that you go ahead and try to talk to some companies, the prices very much also depend on the type of servers you have at your data center

regards
Mobeen
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor

Hi Karl,

I would recommend that you go through the HP Business Continuity & Availability webpage.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/4161-0-0-225-121.aspx

Regards,
Hemanth