Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BiosConfigUtility from SSM under Windows PE

Occasional Visitor

BiosConfigUtility from SSM under Windows PE

We use the BiosConfigUtility 2.14.0.8 from HP System Software Manager Utility package under a minimal Windows PE Boot environment.

On a dc6000 the biosconfigutility seeem to work. But the configuration on a elitebook 8540p allways fail.

Error message is "Could not change settings. Password is set, but no valid current admin password is provided." Explicit setting of the admin bios passsword to 12345678 and using a commandline like:
biosconfigutility.exe /verbose /setconfig:"configfile.txt" /cspwd:"12345678"
also fails.

Further details: BCU errorcode is 10. After a reboot password seem not to be changed

I start Biosconfigutility from a ram-disk and a additional file CpqMC.ddl and a empty folder .\Drivers is created in the same directory. Setting or changing Password with biosconfigutility fail also. Creating a dump of config via /getconfig parameter allways fails with the same??? error (BCU errorcode 16) and creates a empty file.

Is this an know error or what do I miss in my attemps to set the bios parameters.

6 REPLIES
Occasional Visitor

Re: BiosConfigUtility from SSM under Windows PE

Canching Bios from 68cvd-F08 to actual 68cvd-F.0B does not change behaviour at all.
Occasional Visitor

I start testing readout of BiosSettings on different HP machines by starting BiosConfigUtility.exe /getconfig:"BackupFile.txt"

Readout test fails on HP 8540p, 8730w, 2530p with BCU return code 16 and empty file. Setting config on the same machines works on 2530p and fails on 8540p and 8730w with BCU return code 10 ("Could not change settings. Password is set, but no valid current admin password is provided."). Setting in BIOS and poviding a vaild password 12345678 at comandline as decribed above will make no difference in behaviour.

Same test readout test on dc5850, dc6000, z200 works without failure (BCU return code 0). Setting Biosconfig works on all machines.

Occasional Visitor

I'm having similar issues using BiosConfigUtility. I am able to use /GetConfig successfully on an EliteBook 6930p, 8440p, 8730w and 8540w. The utility fails with an error 16 "Unable to write to file or system" on a z200 and 6000 Pro SFF desktop.

Were you able to resolve your issues?
Occasional Advisor

[ Edited ]

I'm bringing up an old thread to life here but I now have the same problem.

Running SSM 2.14.0.8 and can't use either /Setconfig or /Getconfig on HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF models on Windows 7 Ent 32bit.

The Setconfig (on Win7) gets a "Problem reading file c:\test\6000pro.txt". I have created new config file on an xp machine (where everything works) stripped it down to just English and the asset tag. Same problem occurs.

Getconfig (on Win7) gets a <Warning msg="BCU return value" real="16" translated="16" /> and creates an empty config-file.

The strange thing is that the commands are working flawlessly in our old XP Sp3 deployment on the same machine but can't be used when I installed Windows 7 (beeing run as local and domain admin, with UAC off).

This only applies to the HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF computers in our environment regardless of firmware version.

Any luck?

Occasional Visitor

Issue:

Errors when configuring bios settings using HP Biosconfigutility.exe - Version 2.14.0.8

Models affected:

HP Compaq 6000 Pro AiO Business PC

HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF PC

HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC

HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF PC

HP Compaq 8100 Elite CMT PC

HP Compaq 8200 Elite AiO Business PC

HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor

HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF PC

Problem observed:

When we run the biosconfigutility we receive the errors displayed. We have researched all available online and system documentation and have only found others users with similar issues but no solution, which works. We do not see this issue when gathering and setting Bios settings with laptop computers. It only fails with Desktops. Various BIOS versions exist on the desktop but that does not seem to matter as the error occurs on all. The password is correct, we can access the bios via F10 and we can make changes via F10 to the bios settings. The BCU return value" real="16" translated="16" means “16=BCU: Unable to write to file or system”. This error is consistent when attempting to get a txt file of the existing bios settings. When run it creates the txt file but it is empty.

Command Line Errors:

C:\Temp\TPMBiosConfig>Biosconfigutility /cspwd:"password" /getconfig:"CurrentBio.txt"

<BIOSCONFIG Version="2.14.0.8" Computername="ADITWIN7-68824D" Date="2012/05/03"

Time="12:45:20" UTC="-7" >

<Warning msg="BCU return value" real="16" translated="16" />

</BIOSCONFIG>

C:\Temp\TPMBiosConfig>

Websites with possible solutions which we tried but did not solve issue.

Occasional Visitor

I’m having a similar issue but I’m trying to run BiosConfigUtility.exe in WinPE 3.0 (x86). I had this working before and now for some reason it is not.  I’ve been testing this on an 8100 desktop and 8440p laptop, same results on both PCs.

My issue is when I run in WinPE 3.0 x86:

Cmd line:  biosconfigutility /cspwd:password /getconfig:8440.txt

Error 16 unable to write to file or system

If I do the same command in windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit it works fine.

Someone please help!  From the search results this seems like a common issue with bcu, I’m surprised no one has a resolution.

Thanks!

Brad

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event