Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CAS 7.2 patch acquisition seems hung

Regular Advisor

CAS 7.2 patch acquisition seems hung

Folks,

New to this space,but have read entries around my question.

In patch acquisition process, downloaded MSFT, and 1 HP soft-paq - system was allowed to run overnight - cpu still @ 95+%.

Per earlier threads looked at acquisition log - collected 156 of 156 MSFT patches, and my one HP softpaq ftp down load was successful.

Not sure what is going on - looking at processes on server (win2k3) - there is a single 'nvdkit' process that is consuming 95+% of processor - but there are also alot of other nvdkit processes.

Not sure what the next 'step' is in the process and what log files to look into - looking at the logs files in the same directory nothing strikes me.

I presume the job is still running - but there is nothing in current/past jobs @ patch managmement screen, and it shows 0 patches - I have 1 current job but that is my 'scheduled' job.

I would appreciate any direction on what to look at/do next.

Regards,
Joe
11 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CAS 7.2 patch acquisition seems hung

Hi,

Just saw this forum post seems to be relavent to yours. This is tlaking about some patch update from HP.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1288748

Follow the link mentioned

Hope this helps

Thanks
Manohar
Regular Advisor

Manohar,

Thanks for your response - I saw this thread and looked up where I download patches and didn't see any patchers for CAS7.2 on windows.

When I did a search for the patch named in the thread it read like it was for a unix platform (solaris?) - is that what you are using?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Joe
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

As far as i know patch manager does not have an installation other than windows platform. so i dont think that patch was for unix platform. It should be for windows patch manager only.

Hope that patch helps you.

Thanks
Manohar
Regular Advisor

OK, I guess I didn't realize that CAS didn't run on any other OS, but that makes sense.

So did you get that download from the HP website or is it a 'hot-fix' that I need to call support for?

Thanks again for your promptness.

Regards,
Joe

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

CAS is supported on all most all the Operating systems. only patch manager is the one which is supported only on windows environment.

Coming to the patch i have not tested it practically as i am still running on CAE5.11

If you have credentials for the support site you can download the patch and install it else you may need to contact support for the patch

Thanks
Manohar
Regular Advisor

OK - thanks for details - We are an HPSW partner - and I have access to patches, but I don't see any under CAS 7.2 - windows, not sure what I am missing...

Also regarding where I am 'hanging' seems to be in the 'Creating Patch Manifest' phase, shows it's active, but haven't had it finished. From my perspective, the acquisition finishes successfully.

Have uninstalled, recreated db a couple of times...
Honored Contributor

Point of correction on - "CAS is supported on all most all the Operating systems."

This is NOT correct! CAS is only supported on Windows platforms plus some HP Thin clients running XPe\CE and Debian Linux.

Check the CAS 7.2 Release Note for full platform support.

As for your issue in getting a CAS 7.2 patch. There are none yet - apart from an OS Manager Server OS update that is not correctly displayed! What patch were you looking for?

Karl.
Regular Advisor

Karl - thanks for the clarifications - I am looking for the one that you helped out on in the following thread:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1288748

I have looked where I download all the rest of my HPSW patches and can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Joe
Honored Contributor

OK. I see the one you're after. This is not available on the external patch download site.
You'd need to open a support ticket and request hotfix - 7.2.003 - for CAS.

Karl.
Regular Advisor

Karl - OK, I'll give that a shot

Thanks
Joe
Regular Advisor

Folks, finally got hotfix 003 - applied it - same result - I see there is a 7.21 iso out there - so I will download and see if that has any better impact.

I did notice with the hotfix 003 that the nvdkit processes weren't consuming the box - but had different behavior - 100% CPU utilization - but no processes that looked like they were consuming anything more than 8% and not sustained - so I don't know what to make of it
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event