Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hardware and software inventory fails

GLM
Advisor

Hardware and software inventory fails

Hi,

I'm using OV CCM v.2.00.006 and all devices are HP DC7800. CCM Agent version is 4.2.

When I try to create Hardware and software inventory the target devices generate an error related to rimwbem and don't collect any information (hardware).

Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks in advance

GM
16 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Hardware and software inventory fails

There are several. Is WBEM there and does the user running the connect have permission to run it?
Take a look a the connect logs on the agent for better information.
GLM
Advisor

Hi,

The software/hardware inventory works fine on devices which have Win XP SP2 (English language) installed.

But we have other group of machines with Win XP SP2 (local language) installed. In these devices all CCM functionalities works fine but HW/SW inventory fails and give an error related to rimwbem and don't collect any hardware information.

Looking at this machines connect.log file I found this lines:

NVD000010I [Initialize ] 00:00:00 [RIMDIFF / 00000bec] SYSTEM --- Objects are to be compared: [WBEMPREV] [WBEMCURR]
NVD009409W [Pooltab_replace] 00:00:00 [RIMDIFF / 00000bec] SYSTEM --? Can't open file [C:\PROGRA~1\Novadigm\Lib\SYSTEM\RADIA\AUDIT\ZSERVICE\DISCOV~1\WBEMCURR.EDM] because (No such file or directory) (v109)
NVD000010E [Edm_sortObject ] 00:00:00 [RIMDIFF / 00000bec] SYSTEM --! Error: could not read object [WBEMCURR] into memory
NVD000010E [SortObjects ] 00:00:00 [RIMDIFF / 00000bec] SYSTEM --! Error sorting [WBEMCURR]
NVD000010A [Edm_Exit ] 00:00:00 [RIMDIFF / 00000bec] SYSTEM --- RIMDIFF Exit code [8]
NVD006813I [EDMFREE ] 00:00:00 [RADPNLWR / 000008e4] SYSTEM --- Object name will be [FILE ]

Any ideia?

Thanks in advance

GM.
Honored Contributor

Make sure the user id issuing the connect has the ability to run wbem queries.
Try wbemtest or other wbem tools.
Honored Contributor

Hi guys, I have the same problem.

Roy, what user are you refering to exactly?

Do you mean SYSTEM (as per log file) or the one that substituted $MACHINE during the connect?
Honored Contributor

Yes, system.
As I said I'd surely try to see if webtest works first.
Honored Contributor

Roy,

how do i make sure that i'm testing WBEMTEST with SYSTEM?

I mean, if i log to a machine with admin account, does that mean this wbemtest will run as SYSTEM?
Or there is something else other than testing with certain user (admin) to make sure this test will run as SYSTEM (the same way RIM scan will try to do)?

tnx
Honored Contributor

If wbemtest gets the data then I would assume that the system id should.
Is your issue that wbemcur fails to sort?
If that's it try removing the Service and running from scratch. You may have a corrupt object.
Honored Contributor

Already tried recreating Service again sveral times, but allways the same.

But i doubt it's the sorting problem, that is just a log entry as a direct cosequence of the initial root cause log entry:

SYSTEM --? Can't open file [C:\PROGRA~1\Novadigm\Lib\SYSTEM\RADIA\AUDIT\ZSERVICE\DISCOV~1\WBEMCURR.EDM] because (No such file or directory) (v109)

Of course it cannot sort WBEMCURR because it isn't there!

And it isn't there because...??? I tend to believe the WBEMCURR never got created because rimwbem.exe didn't do it's job.

On one server i have noticed a message from DEP (Data Execution Prevention) that it blocked rimwbem.exe. perhaps that could cause this?!

I haven't seen such message on several other servers with the same issue.

Honored Contributor

Check for WBEMPREV, it that's not there then it is indeed likely that DEP prevented it from completing.
Honored Contributor

Hello.

Yes, when this happens on a a server then both WBEMPREV and WBEMCURR are missing.

I have added the rimwbem.exe on the DEP exclude list, restarted the server, but still the same. For some unknown reason, the WBEMXXX objects never got cretaed.
Honored Contributor

You should see the objects being created in the connect log.
You may want to change the Audit Service for diff to full or remove the lib tree for it then re-run it.
Honored Contributor

Hello.

Here is the fresh RIM_REPORTING log file, i don't see such info of WBEMCURR created or not, just it can't be opened.

I have manualy deleted the entire RIM_REPORTING lib sub-dir several times (under normal circumstances this is equivalent to FULL scan), but no change. Setting RIM_REPORTING from DIFF to FULL now would trigger unwanted behaviour on other clients, i'm not sure i want to do that.

Unless setting it to FULL is NOT the same as DELETING the LIB tree manualy?! Is there a reason why i shoud go and test it with full instead od deleting the LIB tree?
Honored Contributor

If the client can't create WBEMCUR then eveything fails.
It seems to fail attempting to read the object. Is there disk space etc?
Honored Contributor

Hi,

WBEM test works fine, there is enough disk space...scratch scratch.

WBEMCURR simply isn't created and nothing points to why or the fact that it isn't creted in the first place (when looking at the connect log). The next task is then to compare WBEMCURR and WBEMPREV and then it fails to load WBEMCURR into memory because...it isn't there...

Weird...no clue why.

Any more ideas?
Honored Contributor

Fresh out of anything meaningful.
Last resort is to re-install the client or contact support?
GLM
Advisor

thks for your help
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event