Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Patch Distiribution problem

Advisor

Patch Distiribution problem

Hi All,

I'm trying to distribute MS patches to the clients but I got error Message 843 "Error opening Radia object".
This is only happen when I use policy server and I assign the policy using wild card. for example MS04*. the client got the list of all required bulletins but gave that error message.
If I assign patches using the RCS, or using policy server with one by one bulletin. i.e. MS04-004, it works fine with no problem.
any one have an idea what is the problem?

RPS: 4.1 build 500
RCS: 4.5.4 SP5

Thanks
8 REPLIES
Frequent Advisor

Re: Patch Distiribution problem

Shalyami,

Do you have the logs with the error code?

Thanks,

Moaeed Sajid
Pronounced Ray-di-ya
Advisor

Hi,

thanks for your intrest, I attached a zipped file containing for log files:
2 for the client and the manager when it is FAILED.
2 for them when SUCCESS.
I assigned 6 different bulletins MS04-003 to MS04-016 in the policy and all installed successfuly. but when I assign the policy with MS04* it failed.

Regards
Honored Contributor

hi Shalyami,

Can we have the policy server logs also.

Thanks
Biju
Advisor

Hi Biju,

I attached the log of the policy server.I hope this could help to find the problem.

Regards
Honored Contributor

Hi shalyami,

As you can see in the policy server logs the ZSERVICE that is getting resolved is MS05* which is not a valid patch ZSERVICE.The actual ZSERVICE is MS05-001,MS05-002.. & so on..

But When you assign a ZSERVICE independently its able to resolve it as it is getting resolved as MS05-001 rather than MS05*.

Hope This Helps!!.

Regards,
Biju
Advisor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, that was clear but my question is:
Do I have to assign patches one by one? We have a very big number of batches which should be assigned to many different OU's.
I hope that there is a way to assign batches based on group?

Regards,

Honored Contributor

Hi shalyami,

What you need is to customize the patch policy resolution to be done from the native database rather than policy server.

Create an application list with each instance for win2k,winnt,w3k,winxp etc with the corresponding ZSTOP000 expression for each instance. Under each instance you need to drag & drop the relevant ZSERVICE like MS05-001,MS05-002,MS05-003 .. etc to winxp.So the ZSTOP000 will stop any other resolution for any other OS.

You need to change some resolution methods for this!!.Its complex but when you want to assign multiple ZSERVICE this is the only way.

Regards,
Biju
Respected Contributor

There are a couple ways this might be done.
We use groups for Patches. And then utilized NVDLINK to link the server_prod group to the correct OU. This allows us to define the new patches once, and roll the patches out in phases.

Another approach would be to use assign a policy to a Radia workgrp or dept.

If you want to use a wild card, set a nvdpolicy to +policy.workgrp.prod_patches
Then create polciy.workgrou.prod_patches in the Radia DB, add a "connect_to" that wild cards the patches MS05-02*. Or what ever you like.

Remember: Best practice is to not ask the client to check if a patch applies when it will never ever be vulnerable. We do not entitle patches unless there is a need.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event