Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

RPM 3.0 - Patch Agent update? - URGENT!!!

Honored Contributor

RPM 3.0 - Patch Agent update? - URGENT!!!

Hello all.
I have migrated to PatchManager 3.0 and encoutered the following issues/problems:

1. i'm NOT using the same RIS instance for Portal and Patch manager server, they are separated. So do i have to run a TCL 8.4 metakit conversion or not?

2. I have configured my patch manager to Publish and Distribute patch agent Version3, and done an acquisition. During the process, it downloaded and published the patches, but no new agent was downloaded, so i'm still having the old Patch Agent 1.2.3. Here is the extract from the patch-acquire.log, saying it has published the new agent (or something) but i havent noticed any change in the RCS database:
------------------------------------------
20060508 15:26:45 Info: Bulletin Summary Processed 55 of 55
20060508 15:26:46 Info: Connecting to RCS
20060508 15:26:46 Info: Publishing novadigm patch agent updates to RCS
20060508 15:26:46 Info: Closing RCS connection
---------------------------------------------
How can i verify which agent is active? I have a new patch agent tcl scripts and a tkd file on my PatchManager3.0 CD, can i use it somehow (Patch Agent Maintenance\maint)? The docs say you can use it for new client instalations via the portal but the dest. dir to put it under the RMP qmedia folder is unclear, should it go uder ...\media\client\default\win32\maint or ...\media\maint?
Also, where can i put these patch agent files in my RPM-RIS filesystem in order to publish/import them as a new PatchAgent? How can it be done manually since i've got the tcl files on the CD (IF they ARE the new PatchAgentV3) instead of doing it through a patch acquisition?

3. there is a new PATCHMGR.ZSERVICE called that came with the PatchManager3.0 migration process (importing the new PATCHMAGR domain). What is the purpose of it, and do i have to assign it through policy to my clients along with the service?

Please help me clear this mess, this is very URGENT!!!

Tnx
15 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: RPM 3.0 - Patch Agent update? - URGENT!!!

Hi Marko,

Do many things in one Question...

Patch Agent Updation is done automatically to Clients, As soon as you do apatch Patch Connect the Patch Client will get updated automatically.

The Best way to test the Patch Agent is to run a Patch Discovery then assign some Patches & Checks the Reports...

Biju
Honored Contributor

1-The conversion process is only necessary if you RMP. See page 21 of the RPM Guide.
2-I think you may have the correct client. As Biju says if you are doing Publish and Distribute then you should have the latest client retrieved during the acquire.
3-Finalize Patch applies to Solaris platforms. See page 74 of the RPM Guide.
Honored Contributor

Thanks guys for your answers.
1. OK
3. OK
------
2. I'm not sure i DO have the latest PatchAgent version, i guess the update didn't succeed,and i think the v1.2.3 is pretty old. However, the new PatchAgent scripts are on the RPM3.0 CD, so i'm wondering is it possible to import/enable that agent scripts manualy, avoiding the Patch Acquisition to update the agent? To all of you willing to help, please read the issue no.2 carefully and give your opinion...
Honored Contributor

Hi Mako,

Download the HP Software University CM Radia Patch Manager by Sam Liu, there is clear migration process defined... frm patch Manger 1.2.3 to 3.0

Biju

Honored Contributor

Biju, can you post an exact link, i have logged into HP Software Solutions University but was unable to find what you proposed...
Honored Contributor

Hi

Search for ssu-ww-20060405-ID10366

Biju
Honored Contributor

Sorry Biju but i have searched for this string on HP SSU, HP ITRC Techn.Knowledge base, and all HP but couldn't find it...
Honored Contributor

Hi Marko,

Check this out !!. Hope you have not missed any of the steps !!!

Biju
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have completed all these steps except the metakit conversion because i'm not using the same RIS instance to load the portal AND the RPM server.
Anyway i don't think the metakit conversion has any effect on the patch agent update.
Still need help on Patch Agent update...
Honored Contributor

Marko,
I certainly would not attempt to publish and deploy the agent from the CD.
If you are not obtaining the current/updated client via acquision then I would open an incident with support and ask them what the current version of the client should be.
Honored Contributor

Is the Agent Update mechanism always trying to download the LATEST agent available, or this depends on which bulletins i'm downloading? So far i have made an acquisition only for MS05* patches. If i start an acquisition of MS06* patches, maybe that would download the latest agent...
Does that make any sense?
Honored Contributor

Hi Marko,

Agent Download is automatic irrespective of the patch download you do !!

Biju
Honored Contributor

I have tried to apply several patches to the client that had a compliance report showing those patches are needed. I assigned the patches and performed a client connect:
radskman ip=XXXX,ask=Y,uid=$MACHINE,dname=PATCH,startdir=SYSTEM

The patches are put under the C:\Program Files\Novadigm\Lib\system\Radia\PATCH\ZSERVICE put are not installed. The status of the managed service is:
Installed - Server stopped application configuration.

There is an entry in the connect log while processing the patch ZSERVICE:
Radia Error occurred, status: 650

So the patch is entitled but wasn't installed. Does anybody knows why?
Honored Contributor

Hi Marko,

Error 650 means policy resulation error.

I have some important things to clarify..

1. While deploying patches you should see Patch Compliance reports rather than Managed service reports from RRS.

Check the Patch Compliance reports & revert back.Managed services or APPEVENT will not have the capability to report back the actual installation of pathes.

Biju

Honored Contributor

Hello all.
I have found the cause of the problem. The proxy server i have been using wasn't configured properly.
After i have configured my RPM to use another proxy, the Patch agent was downloaded and updated correctly.
Thanks to all who helped.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event