Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reg PDA support

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Occasional Advisor

Reg PDA support

Hi all,

I have following doubts regarding HP Client Automation Software.

1. Does it provides support to PDA devices.
2.Does it provide support to Mac OS? If not what all Unix Platforms does it support? It supports Windows 2008 server?
3. Say if there are 'n' LPARS in an Aix system. Will it be able to seperately identify these Lpar in the same processor?
15 REPLIES
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reg PDA support

Hi,

1. It supports PDA devices
2. CAE supports Windows, Solaris, AIX,HPUX and MAC OS
3. This has to be configured for scanning in audit domain. Not tested so far as lack of environment.

For more information on these questions with more specification please go through the release notes for CAE7.2 which has a detailed information.

Thanks
Manohar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Manohar. Can you please give me the location of release notes. URL will be v useful
Honored Contributor

For 2: Note the following...
With v7.2 release, there is NO UNIX agent support. Only Windows and Linux.

After 31 Oct 2009 support for ALL UNIX agents on any product version ends.

I'm assuming that the questions were directed at CA Enterprise sw rather than CA Standard!

Karl.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

You can use the following URL to find the docuementation for the CAE.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals.
This URL requires login credentials to access the documents.

Thanks
Manohar
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. The manuals helped in clearing most of my doubts. Still I have few.
Please reply.
1.I would like to know whether HP Client Automation Software supports suit discovery. Say Microsoft office has many applications in it like MS Word,MS Outlook etc. Will it provide info about all these applications in a suite?
2.Does it support application virtualisation like Softgrid and Thinstall. i.e Is it capable of identifying whether the application is actually installed in the system or used from softgrid/thinstall server
3.Certain applications like Editplus need not be installed but can be used by running an instance. By using HP Client Automation Software can we find the usage of such applications?
4. Say I need to install an application in midnight. Even if the system is shut down it automatically boot,install and then shut down.I have read about this concept somewhere. I think its important as it conserver power.Does HP Client Automation Software has any such provision
5. Can the sys admin change the system's sleep or shutdown time?

Honored Contributor

1. Yes. You may need to configure additional audits but it can collect this information.
2. Not familiar with this.
3. How does an "instance" present itself? There is a Usage client that can report usage of EXE files.
Also, you can create a FILESCAN audit to search for any file you like, EXE, DLL, JPG etc...
4. Yes, CA supports Wake on Lan and there are many customers using this feature. WOL will need to be supported
in your environment. Is external to CA.
5. Not sure i follow? If there appear as registy settings, yes, CA can make changes here.

If you're considering purchasing CA then you'd probably want to engage with HP Pre-Sales.

HTH.

Karl.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

For virtualization question what you asked. Client automation is capable of identifying the application installation location with a report generated through reporting server. From there you can find the location of the installation of the application.

Thanks
Manohar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

Reg Ques No 5 let me explain with an example. Say I want all systems in my organisation to go to sleep state in 5 minutes. Can HP Client Automation Software change the sleep state time in all systems as 5 minutes?

Does HP Client Automation Software suppos embedded OS like WEPOS?
Occasional Advisor

I have a doubt in Patch Management. Is there any way to download and apply patches to the systems that dont have internet connection?
Honored Contributor

You need to have at least one device with an internet connection.
This would typically be your Patch Manager server in your test\QA environment. You use the server to do the Patch acquisistions and they export\import the patches from this environment to the Productions environment as per...
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM112025

Karl.
Occasional Advisor

Say for eg, in my organisation I dont have internet connection for a particular team Y. Can I download the patches in systems in some other team ,copy it in a DVD and install the patches in Y team's systems?

Occasional Advisor

1.Is there any provision like an email is automatically sent to sys admin when installation of patch fails in endpoint?

2.Is it possible to assign Pre script or post script that will run before or after patch execution?
Honored Contributor

The technote gives details on how to move bulletins between environments. So the answer to your question is YES.

For...
1. Best practise would be to use Reporting Server to monitor the success\failure of patch installs. If you have some email notification enabled and you have many patch installs failed, would you want to be inundated with emails?
2. Are we talking about CA Standard or Enterprise. The Enterprise client has many exit points that can be used during the connect process. The Standard client has none.

Karl.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

1.What is the desired state? Its like checking for compliance? Its like a checklist of things or applications that must be in every system. If any such application is missing then Policy should take necessary action like installation?

2. Does HP Client Automation allows user based compliance to be set. Say a particular user doesnt need Microsoft Powerpoint. Can he just remove if from the list of apps policy installs?

3. Does CA provides support to Point Of Sales OS like WEPOS?

4.Can it support Solaris Containers? i.e it will be able to differentiate between the containers?

5.Does it support ACL(Access Control List)?

Occasional Advisor

In Patch management I have few doubts.

1.Say the vendor has stopped the support for a particular patch. Will it be automatically deleted from our system where it is downloaded?

2. While downloading the patches do you provide the option for choosing the location to download/store the patches?

3.Do you provide patch management for Solaris x86 architecture?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event