Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Software publishing and deployment...using exe file.

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Super Advisor

Software publishing and deployment...using exe file.

Hi all,

Please anybody tell me how to publish and deploy the software with .exe extension.
I have tried with .msi extension.But with .exe its not working.
12 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Software publishing and deployment...using exe file.

You need to use the Radia packager (not the Radia Publisher) to publish and deploy .exe files. Launch the Radia packager and choose the Component Select Mode radio button. Then you can browse to your exe file and publish it. You will need to add the fully qualified path to the executable in the create method to run it on deploy (for example: NATIVE c:\temp\abc.exe)

You might want to check with the publisher and the publishing adapter guides from the documentation CD for more details.
6 years with Radia and counting
Super Advisor

Thanx...Dear For your support...
Please provide me the link for downloading that radia package.
Advisor

Hi,

Radia Packager is part of Radia Administrator Workstation(RAW) which is used to create groups of components, called packages, and promote them
to the Radia Configuration Server. You can use Radia Packager to pakage exe's to radia objects. Once an exe is packaged you can view it under Software-->Application Packages using System Explorer.

Regards,
Rajesh KV
Trusted Contributor

What software is it? Some software has the .MSI bundled up with other components into a Setup.EXE. In these cases it's usually better to extract the .MSI and then package using the Publisher/MSI Import mode.
Super Advisor

The software dosnt have the .msi file, it has only .exe file.
Trusted Contributor

I realise that, but often the .EXE can be extracted into it's component parts via an Administrative Install (usually something like SETUP.EXE /A). The .MSI can then be imported from there.

If this isn't possible, then the Radia Packager will need to be used as already mentioned. I'd recommend using Installation Monitor mode rather than Component Selection, however.

Good luck!
Colin
Super Advisor

When I have tried the component mode then it is showing the exe. files also but when i try to deploy them it dosnt execute at the client end. It just get stored at the defined path.
But the .msi get executed at the client end.
Please provide me information if any to convert the .exe to .msi
Trusted Contributor

If you used Component Selection mode, then yes, it will only copy the file to the location you selected. Use Installation Monitor mode instead, to scan the packaging PC before and after installation of the software, and publish the differences. Everything will then be installed as expected, and as an added bonus, the .EXE will not need to be copied down to every client as part of the process.

If you really want to use Component Selection mode to create your package, then you will have to specify the .EXE in the services ZCREATE method as Walter suggested previously.
Advisor

Hi,

If you want to convert an .exe to .msi i would recommend you to us ethird party tools like InstallShield or Wise.

But before this try pakaging using Installation Monitor Mode & check whether the application is working fine once deployed.
Super Advisor

Please provide me the all details as I m very new to this Openview tool.
I not getting it that how I can deploy .exe without using any third party tools.
Please provide me the link for the Radia Administration Workstation(RAW).
Trusted Contributor

Firstly, use the Packager in Installation Monitor mode. Take a "before" scan of your packaging PC. Once complete, install and configure the software as required. Next, perform an "after" scan of the PC. This will produce a report of differences including changes to the file system and Registry. You will need to go through these chanegs, to determine which ones you actually want, before publishing them the to RCS.
The Application Manager guide has more detail, but I would also suggest you look into one of the courses offered by HP (probably starting with the "Essentials" course first.
Cheers,
Colin
Honored Contributor

If you are using CCM then your choices are limited to MSI and Component Selection Mode.
See Chapter 9 of the CCM doc about page 214.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event