Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Accessing VMBX emails in TRIM 7.1

Frequent Advisor

Accessing VMBX emails in TRIM 7.1

We have recently upgraded to TRIM 7.1 and have encountered an issue accessing emails that were saved as VMBX under TRIM 6.2.4.

I've looked at the Known Issues section of Software Support Online and there was an issue logged in March, but I was wondering whether anyone has a work-around in the meantime?  So far the most success we have had is extracting the VMBX to a local drive and opening it in Notepad - this will display the text of the email but we still have no way to access the attachment.

Any ideas?

Michael

6 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Accessing VMBX emails in TRIM 7.1

Trim document viewer's ability to properly handle VMBX is broken in Trim 7.1, I recently submitted a ticket about this that resulted in it being labeled as a defect.  The particular problem we're seeing is that the viewer cannot access attachments within the VMBX files, either to view or to forward the message.

As a workaround, I find that I can supercopy the VMBX file in Trim 7.1, and open it on a computer that has Trim 6.2.3 (which our WG server is still running).  And although I cannot directly save the attachment when the VMBX file is open, if I go to forward the attachment, an email composition window pops up and I can save the attachment.  The big question here, however, is:  During a server upgrade to 7.1, will the VMBX files in the document store be modified in a way that makes them incompatibile in Trim 6.x's viewer?

Frequent Advisor

Interesting workaround, raynebc.

Unfortunately we upgraded our WG server to TRIM 7.1 as part of our upgrade, so we are unable to use TRIM 6.2.x to access the dataset anymore.

We have no problem (so far) opening emails that have been captured using 7.1 - our problem is restricted to emails that were captured in a previous version.

Valued Contributor

The procedure I mentioned wouldn't require the dataset to be accessed with the 6.x client, just the VMBX file.  Please let me know if it is unable to open the VMBX file, as that would let me know that it won't be a usable solution for my work's Trim environment.

Trusted Contributor

Possible workaround:

Try exporting the record as an XML file with the option “Export them as Separate Files”.

I gave that a shot, it just exported the native email rendition and skipped the VMBX file entirely, there were no separate attachment files.  Off the top of my head, I don't know a specific record in our dataset that has a VMBX file but no native email rendition to try this procedure on.

Frequent Advisor

Hi TMack,

I've just tried your suggestion on a VMBX document with no Native Mail Rendition (which is how our system was set up under TRIM 6.2.4).  The result is an XML and an HTML file have been exported.  The XML file contains XML metadata for the TRIM fields, such as Security, Access Control, Container Number, etc.  It also lists the html file under the field "ELECTRONICDOCUMENTLIST".

The html (or htm) file holds the message of the VMBX, but only displays the same amount of message as the TRIM viewer did.  It also has a broken link to the document attachment, so I still can't access it.  The document itself was not exported.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event