Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Affect of sort and disposition filtering on TRIM search performance

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Esteemed Contributor

Affect of sort and disposition filtering on TRIM search performance

As part of our upgrade to TRIM 6.2.5 we are considering changing some of our search defaults.

Our current 6.2.2 default search filters are set to no sort and disposition filtering to active and inactive.

One proposal is to now include a default sort of "date registered descending" and also include most if not all disposition filters. (We do use disposition by the way)

What are peoples’ thoughts on what impact this may have on search performance?

Some tests I have conducted don’t really show any difference. Even if default sort was a tiny bit slower, not having to sort the results once they are displayed would probably save the user some time anyway.

Josh

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Affect of sort and disposition filtering on TRIM search performance

If you have a default sort order, most users wont notice the difference.

It may take a few extra seconds to display the initial search results, but you should find that it's comparable to the non-sorted search times.

I used to always use Date Reg, Descending as a default sort order and search times were fine in our prod dataset.

I didn't mix this with many other sort methods though, so having more than just the date sorting might impact further on search display times.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

Hey Josh,

I've worked a few sites, some with searches configured for convenience, some without.

By far though, the biggest wins have been gained by teaching the end users how they can configure there own searches and displays.

The way records teams and IT work tend to be very different from various business units we support.

Overall I haven't seen much impact on result time for various configurations as the sort criteria is added onto the actual DB record search query.

However if you set the "Automatically Count Results" that will add 'obvious' time as that performs a record search as normal, then does a second query specifically to get the record count.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone. I agree with the comments made.

Josh

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event