Do you mean 

Automated Part Rules in HP RM8.1 or 8.2

Valued Contributor

Automated Part Rules in HP RM8.1 or 8.2

Hi, 

HP RM 8.1.1.7760, Win7, SQL 2012-R2,

Testing HP RM8.2.0.7591 

Questions about the Automated Part Rules: 

We intend to implement the automated part rules in a near future (5-6 months) and certain things are still not clear;

(we would like to implement the rule about 299 items per volume)

-What are advantages / disadvantages of implementing the rule(s) 

-Do we still obey the rule of 300 items max per folder/container, even in the HP RM8.2? 

-Are there issues for searching the items if folder has 98 volumes?

-Who is the Creator of these volumes/can that be changed? 

-If the max number of volumes is 99 , can the rule be made to create/copy a new file and start the 99 volumes again?

-Any differences in saving documents to a folder with rule individualy, normal way and via bulk upload, what happens?

-Can more rules be appplied to the first volume?

-Searching for contained within, any issues, whats the search string? 

-Sentencing: do older part get sentenced while newer ones remain current?

-How to spot if the file is under the Automated Part rule? File-Properties? Is it showing only on the Vol 01 or the latestone as well? 

-How to remove the automated part rule from the file?

-Anything else that we should be aware of? 

Thanks 

9 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Automated Part Rules in HP RM8.1 or 8.2

-What are advantages / disadvantages of implementing the rule(s) 

The advantage is avoiding large containers means not clogging the event processor with endless schedule event triggers. 

-Do we still obey the rule of 300 items max per folder/container, even in the HP RM8.2? 

Yes

-Are there issues for searching the items if folder has 98 volumes?

There shouldn't be any issues as long as you are correctly maintaining your database.

-Who is the Creator of these volumes/can that be changed? 

The creator will carried over from the previous part, as an admin you should be able to modify this.

-If the max number of volumes is 99 , can the rule be made to create/copy a new file and start the 99 volumes again?

No, Records can only have a maximum of 99 parts. When trying to create a 100th part of a record, HP Records Manager removes the automated part rules from the record and closes it - the date closed is set.

-Any differences in saving documents to a folder with rule individualy, normal way and via bulk upload, what happens?

Registering the records will obviously adhere to the rule, the bulk loader is a bit different. BL will disable a number of features and integrity checks are bypassed and audit trails not recorded. So the rules might not apply and care should be taken using that tool.

-Can more rules be appplied to the first volume?

There is only 1 rule per record, 2 triggers would not be viable.

-Searching for contained within, any issues, whats the search string? 

contains - is the string term or

containsEx - which also includes alternate containers 

They behave as normal records, so searching it exactly the same. 

-Sentencing: do older part get sentenced while newer ones remain current?

essentially the main point of doing this method, each container can potentially have its own retention running.

-How to spot if the file is under the Automated Part rule? File-Properties? Is it showing only on the Vol 01 or the latestone as well? 

Rules tend to be applied to the record type, but under the RMB menu > administration > apply part rule you can see what has already been applied.

-How to remove the automated part rule from the file?

As above

-Anything else that we should be aware of?

All of these answers and everything else you would likely need to know can be found in the helpfile. Jump on and have a look might save you a bit of time rather than posting.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Valued Contributor

Brilliant, thanks.

Confused with: 

The advantage is avoiding large containers means not clogging the event processor with endless schedule event triggers. 

(Isn't the event triggers are now processing differently in HP RM8.1 or 8.2 ?, meaning, not many events are made during the addition of the new document to a container?) 

Creator of the volumes/can that be changed? 

The creator will carried over from the previous part, as an admin you should be able to modify this.

(not sure how to do this as an Admin, record type preferences not copied?) 

-How to spot if the file is under the Automated Part rule? File-Properties? Is it showing only on the Vol 01 or the latest one as well?  

Rules tend to be applied to the record type, but under the RMB menu > administration > apply part rule you can see what has already been applied.

( RMB Menu - what/where?) bit af confusion here, what is menat by this? 

Also, to me it looked like that me as an Admin set the rule to a first volume(File) and then i am noticing on the Vol 7 that active audits say that TRIM SERVICE Account attached the part rule for that volume .... 

Many thanks again for this, much appreciated. 

HPE Expert

(Isn't the event triggers are now processing differently in HP RM8.1 or 8.2 ?, meaning, not many events are made during the addition of the new document to a container?) 

Sorry that it true, however large containers tend to be slow

Creator of the volumes/can that be changed? 

(not sure how to do this as an Admin, record type preferences not copied?) 

from memory the metadata is carried over from part to part

-How to spot if the file is under the Automated Part rule? File-Properties? Is it showing only on the Vol 01 or the latest one as well?  

( RMB Menu - what/where?) bit af confusion here, what is menat by this? 

RMB = Right mouse button, which will bring up the menu on the record.

Also, to me it looked like that me as an Admin set the rule to a first volume(File) and then i am noticing on the Vol 7 that active audits say that TRIM SERVICE Account attached the part rule for that volume .... 

Many thanks again for this, much appreciated. 

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Valued Contributor

Thanks, got it all now, except the Creator... 

In my case , the creator of these newly made volumes is by default a TRIM SERVICE Account, not the creator of the original Volume 1. I will try investigate where this could be changed ... 

Thanks.

HPE Expert

Potentially it might be taking the location from the service account, but i thought in 8.2 it was hidden and would not be used

Valued Contributor

Hi, 

I am having an issue with setting up the AUTOMATED Part rule:

When setup to use date trigger - it is not working, but when it is setup to use Maximum content 299 it does work (sometimes goes over 300 items, but that's OK) 

So, Am I doing something wrong here regarding the RULE to create the new volume each day:

So, the file similar to this one above was made yesterday morning and at the same time I applied the automated part rule to create the new part every day .... That did not happened.

Option in System Options is OK, (Selected/tagged) and also TES config file saved, deployed and WGS restarted, HP RM restarted and 24 hours later .e.g. now. the thing is not working .. 

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Hi there

Are you running the  "Automated Part Creation" event for that dataset?  If not, start that up.  Save your TES config and deploy to all WGS.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Helen :)

Helen Barnes
HPE Content Manager Information Developer
HPE Software: Information Management & Governance
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
HPE Expert

Might also be the "date registered" field, try switching to "date created"

Valued Contributor

Hi, thanks, 

I did not had to do anything,(already running the  "Automated Part Creation" event for that dataset; also I saved the TES config and deployed it to all WGS.)  this morning, after two days, a new part is made somehow (so, not "each day" as I specified in the rule) rather 48 hours later

So, most likely this is related with the SERVER's scheduled tasks.... or the "counting" starts after second day ... 

Must keep in mind, this is  Development Server, not sure how this rule will behave in Production.

Now, I will create the rule in the production, and this rule really must be reliable. 

Thanks