Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can DataPort update title(free text) field to null?

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Occasional Advisor

Can DataPort update title(free text) field to null?

HPERM 8.3

Hi, per title, can I update the title (free text part) field to null using data port?

Regards
2 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Can DataPort update title(free text) field to null?

It should be possible, you might want to ensure that the field is not set to mandatory in the record entry form. Just to avoid users being forced to enter titles at a later date.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Occasional Advisor

Re: Can DataPort update title(free text) field to null?

Hi, I believe I resolved this, so for the record...

Ordinary dataport import wont replace a value in the title(free text part) field with NULL, even if title field is set to allow NULL values (e.g. when client titeling methiod is used). Probably a bug. A work around was using 'replace phrase' (or dataport will probably work in the same way, but I havent yet tried that), replace the value with a 'space'. Then when opening/viewing the record HPERM appears to have removed the space (default system behaviour?), leaving a NULL value in the title.

This resolves the isue for our purposes, but I'm not sure if the space is removed when opening the record, or at the time of replacing the data in the field with the 'space', ie all the spaces may still be there, only getting removed when the record is opened/viewed. It could possibly be checked with an export of the data, but then the space may be removed at time of export, so a view of the tables would probably be needed.