Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't see "Open" in menu to edit document in Offline Records

Advisor

Can't see "Open" in menu to edit document in Offline Records

Hi all

Urgent request.

I have sent a Word document to Offline Records via Check-out function but when I go to my Documents Checked Out tray, and right click on the Word document that I checked out I don't see the option for "Open" in the drop down list so I can edit the document.  We use TRIM 7.1 and offline records are stored in the C drive.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks for any assistance.

Celine

5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't see "Open" in menu to edit document in Offline Records

What options do you see?
Advisor

Hi there, thanks so much for your reply.  Sorry for this late answer.  I am in Perth and had gone home when you posted your response.  Please see the screen dumps attached.  I have always been a bit confused with Offline Records.  As I will be helping with training some users on TRIM 7 Build 1.0.11.50 this Friday I thought I had better look at checking out and editing Word documents which users here do a lot of.

Anyhow I have been "testing" and see that docs I check out are then found both in the "Documents Checked Out" tray and in the "Offline Records" tray.  I suppose that is correct as the checked out docs actually go into the Offline holding area.

However I have found today that the Open choice appears with the right-click menu for docs in the Offline Records Tray but NOT with the right-click menu for docs in the Checked Out tray - see examples attached please which show the choices I am given.

Thanks again!  Yours in TRIM.

Celine

Frequent Advisor

Hi Celine,

That's the way it works. Both the "documents checked out to me" and a normal record search show the same options.

These search windows know that the document is checked out, but not that they are in your offline records.

The offline records window, on the other hand, knows where the current working copy resides, so it lets you open it directly.

Alex.
Honored Contributor

Alex is right.

You can check-out something to somewhere other than Offline Records (your desktop for instance). The Documents checked out window just shows you what you have checked-out. It does not provide an option to actually edit it. Weird eh?

Offline Records is basically just a view into that folder on your computer. Therefore it needs an edit option. Plus you can also save to offline records whilst TRIM is down or your otherwise not connected.
Advisor

Thank you both for your fast and very clear and helpful responses.  You explained the situation well so now I can tell users they can't edit from "Documents Checked Out".  I also have to somehow impress upon them not to leave documents from TRIM, that they are editing, open for ages, so that TRIM checks them out (and nobody else can then edit them until they are checked back in by Records) and not to have numerous electronic records and application programmes open (which with the number of staff we have using TRIM sometimes causes chaos and loss of edits). 

Initially I was getting really frustrated at not being able to edit from the Checked-Out tray but now I can see the logic - a bit like checking out of a hotel to many possible destinations - but not being able to change your check-out conditions because that is too complicated.

Celine

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event