Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can you force a GET GLOBAL on the Trim 6.2 client

Frequent Advisor

Can you force a GET GLOBAL on the Trim 6.2 client

Is there a way to push a a GET GLOBAL on each client rather than getting evey user to selet  TOOLS- and then press the GET GLBAL button

thanks

Marc

11 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Can you force a GET GLOBAL on the Trim 6.2 client

I would think there would be a way some smart person could script it to do that, however I myself wouldn't know how.  In the later versions of 6.2 (SP4 I believe), when you install the HP TRIM Client there's an option to automatically get global upon installation/startup for the first time.

Honored Contributor

Turn on a Lock Down Style in the System Options.

This will force every client to get the global settings.

I suggest you test this in a test environment first to see if the results are what you want.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor

Just wait about 2 weeks for daylight savings time to switch and TRIM will reset the globals automatically for you (at least when you're not yet running 6.2.5).

No effort required unless you have already applied the workaround :smileywink:

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Honored Contributor

We had our DST change 2 weekends ago... :smileysad:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor

Grundy, in Europe it's end of october.

By the way, I found that the document specifying the workaround isn't completely accurate.

When using the TRIM client in another language than English, the registry key is in a subpath in the registry "HKCU\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\TRIM Context\01\Locale\<language code>".

Luckily the first test account was never used in English, so had the Version key missing in the specified registry location so we needed to look further and found it in a subpath.

The date needs to be changed for each language used by a user. Mainly the TRIM admins because they often have to replicate issues and R&D doesn't understand Dutch screenshots, so unfortunately we have to maintain 2 sets of use settings...

Maybe the document can be updated accordingly.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Trusted Contributor

Heya Grundy

Your post re using lock down got me thinking.

95% of our users will just 'get global' and leave it as is but some power users (particularly IM staff) will modify TRIM to suit their needs.

Is there a way to lock down but then turn this off for some users? A registry hack?

Thanks

Michael

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately it's a system wide option.

Even admins have their UI reset I think, but it's been a while since I tested lockdown styles.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Trusted Contributor

Bugg3r!

Ah well, 'twas worth a shot.

Thanks mate

HPE Expert

Have a read of this KB article:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM748166

I think you should be able to push out the right combination of registry settings in a login script to make all users get global once, e.g.:

1. Set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\AutoGetGlobal to 1
  2. Remove this key if it exists: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\DBID\<DBID>\AUTOGETGLOBAL
  3. Start TRIM and connect to the database and see if you automatically acquire the global settings.

Give that a go on a test machine and see what happens.

Neil

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Frequent Advisor

Thank you to all ..there is a fair bit here to digest .. I will report back once I've tested

Marc

Super Advisor

Might be a bit late for this post but

;this will force the user to get global on dataset ID where ID is the Dataset ID
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\DBID\ID]

"AutoGetGlobal"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5]

"autoGetGlobal"=dword:00000001

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event