Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a new dataset pointing to an existing Oracle database

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Trusted Contributor

Creating a new dataset pointing to an existing Oracle database

Hi,

I'm just about to start testing 6.2.5 so, before upgrading our existing test environment I was wanting to create a 6.2.4 test dataset in our training environment (i.e. we have test, training and production servers).

On creating the new dataset on the training server I entered Oracle as the SQL Dataset type then entered the existing test databse details into the connection details (i.e. Datasource, user name, password). On testing the connection I received the error "Test conection failed because of an error in intializing provider. ORA-12154. TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified".

I assumed this was due to another dataset already using this database so I took the test server offline. However, I still got the same message.

I then removed the existing test dataset from the test server and attempted to recreate it in the training server and again received the message above.

I have been able to recreate the dataset on the test server with no problems so clearly the info being entered when creating the dataset (datasource, user name, password) is correct.

Does this mean that Oracle databases have to have the server name specified somewhere before they can accept connections from that server?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

1 REPLY
Trusted Contributor

Re: Creating a new dataset pointing to an existing Oracle database

Hi

Needed to add our test database to the service naming in the net configuraiton of the Oracle client on the training server.

Solved (thanks Simon. I told you if you did it here you could get some kudos)