Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

DataPort error - DOS file, Detail: Cannot write to the output file

Valued Contributor

DataPort error - DOS file, Detail: Cannot write to the output file

All,

I’m running exports from an existing TRIM 7.3 Dataset to import into a new HPE RM 8.2 Dataset as part of a larger legacy migration. 

There are some electronic documents which are not being exported due to the length of their Filename. “<…>is too long to be used for a filename. The maximum length of the filename including the path is 260.” (See full error from DataPort below)

2016-09-07 17:52:56:371 3          00:00:00:0000000          Error                 Error exporting item property - Item: ICTR-07-91-0036/1, Property: DOS file, Detail: Cannot write to the output file 'C:\Users\infofirst\Documents\Edocs\U5103162_NSHOGOZA - THE REGISTRAR S SUBMISSION UNDER RULE 33 (B) OF THE RULES OF PROCEDURE AND EVIDENCE ON LEONIDAS NSHOGOZA S ADDENDUM 2 - EXTREMELY URGENT MOTION FOR ASSIGNMENT OF COUNSEL (ARTICLE 20 (4)) OF THE STATUTE.PDF'. 'C:\Users\infofirst\Documents\Edocs\U5103162_NSHOGOZA - THE REGISTRAR S SUBMISSION UNDER RULE 33 (B) OF THE RULES OF PROCEDURE AND EVIDENCE ON LEONIDAS NSHOGOZA S ADDENDUM 2 - EXTREMELY URGENT MOTION FOR ASSIGNMENT OF COUNSEL (ARTICLE 20 (4)) OF THE STATUTE.PDF' is too long to be used for a filename. The maximum length of the filename including the path is 260.        NL-TRIM-TEST        02:00:00            6896

When the error is generated, the electronic object DOES NOT export from TRIM and the exported metadata removes the data for the DOS file field.

This causes the metadata after the DOS file field to be in the incorrect cell location within Excel. (This can be fixed with a manipulation of adding a cell in the DOS file field; however, this is cumbersome and risky for hundreds of thousands of records.)

Please advise if you have found a viable workaround for this issue?

Regards,

Tamara

4 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: DataPort error - DOS file, Detail: Cannot write to the output file

A quick fix might be to shorten the path where the documents are going to

so instead of using c:\users\infofirst\documents\edocs as the export folder

run this dos command first

subst z: c:\users\infofirst\documents\edocs 

in  explorer z: is now a substituted drive letter for the that path, so you can export documents to z:\ (which is 31 characters shorter)

Valued Contributor

Thanks for this suggestion. I will make the change and I'm sure it will resolve some of the documents; however, there will still be some with longer Titles.

As a workaround, I tried using WebPublisher to get these docs, but since I can't get the Doc Filenames to display on the Web Index file, it won't be useful to use for an import.

Open to other options...

Regards,

Tamara

Trusted Contributor

Hi Tamara, I have a work-around rather than a solution.  If you export your metadata to Excel you can use the LEN formula to determine the number of characters in each cell containing the title.  From there you could identify precisely which documents will go over the file path limit.  From there options to consider are;

1. Manually edit a small number of titles
  2. User Search & Replace to remove common words or phrashes. (eg 'and' becomes &).  There could be longer phrases common to your collection.
  3. Reduce title length in Excel & upload again into your existing dataset.  You could do one of the above, or just split the title using Excel's "text-to-columns" & put the extra words in the Notes field.  That's what TRIM would do if you were uploading long record titles.

I would love to hear if there is a proper solution though.  There's no reason for Dataport to name files anything other than a unique number.  Dataport is not the place for friendly file names.

Valued Contributor

Thank you Steve for your input. I do think the Title update is probably going to be the way to go, but I will have to get acceptance to make such changes.

It is interesting that the Titles are so long as I understood that the Title (Free Text) field has a limitation of 255 characters. This means that the file path can never exceed 5 characters if we want to export edocs. If HPRM enforces the 255 character limit for Titles, then anything longer would have to be trucated or updated prior to import anyway. 

Additionally, it is interesting that the Title is used on the DOS file document name instead of a URI since there could potentially be docs with the same Title and File Shares cannot accomodate without updating them to be unique. (e.g. LongTitle, LongTitle(1), LongTitle(2), etc.) 

In the case of e-Discovery, I get the concept of making electronic document Titles more useful; however, not so much if you can't actually get them to export. ;-)

I'll repost if I receive additional feedback from the HP SSO Case.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Tamara

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event