Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Default File Type in Search can't be changed

Frequent Advisor

Default File Type in Search can't be changed

I've just re-installed TRIM 7.1 1138 on a user's machine to resolve a problem with the Outlook Integration, and the user has now found that whenever he searches the File Type defaults to '*.DOC'.  I have removed the extension and saved it as a new Default, but this has made no difference when he starts a new search - it still defaults to a File Type of '*.DOC'.

So far, only the one user is affected.

I'm reluctant to re-install TRIM because it was just re-installed this morning.

Unfortunately I can't access the user's registry setting to see where the '*.DOC' might be stored and changed it.

P.S. If the File Type is changed and the 'Set as Default Filter' box is ticket, then refining the search will have the changed File Type setting - but a new search won't.

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Default File Type in Search can't be changed

This will be a registry value, but if the user does not have permissions to write and commit changes to the registry, this setting will stay the same between each search/session.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Frequent Advisor

I've found a workaround to my problem.

While TRIM did not want to accept a change in the default search settings of simply removing '*.DOC' from the File Type filter, it would accept a change if there was an additional filter applied.  So I unticked one of the other filter boxes (Destroyed), removed the '*.DOC' and TRIM saved the new default.

It means the user cannot search for Destroyed files/documents, but this is an acceptable trade-off (as the user isn't likely to want to find Destroyed records).

Odd that Get Global didn't change the settings butmaking another change to the filter does.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the followup Michael, might be worth a quick support case so it can be raised with R&D. :)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au