Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Discrepancy in reported statistics

Frequent Advisor

Discrepancy in reported statistics

I have conducted a search on the number of records of a particular type registered in a day. I run a statistical report to obtain the same information, but the results differ. Can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong?

4 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Discrepancy in reported statistics

I guess that the number of records in the statistical report are higher. This will be because, since only numbers are returned, will not filter on security levels and caveats. Your own search will always filter on those and any filter you have set up in your record search dialog. Check your own profile to see if you have the highest security level and all caveats. The statistical reports create reports based on the UTC date while the TRIM search uses local time. Here in Europe, the difference is just a few hours and nobody will notice any difference, but in Australia, you may end up with reports from the lunchtime on monday to lunchtime on tuesday, instead of just everything on monday. If the above doesn't solve the differences, you may want to go to the activity pane and enable the dataset's SQL logging. By comparing the SQL where conditions you may see where the differences are coming from.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Sander,

The UTC date / time stamp for the reports is the most likely cause of what I am seeing - folders created on 21 Jul at 9.30 am local are being reported via the statistical reports as being registered on 20 Jul. Do you know if the UTC setting for the reports is adjustable to local?

Honored Contributor

It's not adjustable as far as I know.

When looking at  the captured SQL it's just grouping on the first few characters (first 4 for years, first 6 for months and first 8 for days).

Because TRIM saves dates as varchar instead of date fields in the database, it's relatively complex (and puts a large load on the database) to add the UTC offset to the date.

Since TRIM can be used around the world for global organisations, TRIM itself cannot determine what the reporting timezone should be. This can differ from where the the branch office is located and and maybe corporate policy dictates to use 1 specific timezone regardless of where the user works.

If you want this to be configurable you have to submit an enhancement request.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again, I understand why UTC is used as the common date/time baseline, it is only an issue for some of our reporting that is done daily. We can work through it without adjusting TRIM.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event