Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Documents checked-in while open for editing - RM 8.3

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Documents checked-in while open for editing - RM 8.3

Since upgrade to RM 8.3 users have reported documents getting check-in while being edited.

The check-in may occur immediately following the check-out or some hours after the check-out. In all cases the user is not aware that RM has checked-in a document and they continue to work on a document which is no longer checked-out.

I didn’t think this should be possible because TRIMwatcher should see the document is locked by Word, Excel etc.

Has anyone had a similar experience with RM?

It doesn’t seem to matter if offline records is on local drive or network drive

5 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

Re: Documents checked-in while open for editing - RM 8.3

I think I know what's happening.  You might have closed the document that you checked out.  Then you opened the document again thinking that's the document you just checked out.  That's just another version of the document which is checked in.

You follow?

Advisor

We have been getting people logging issues whereby they are using the Edit option to work on docs mostly Excel and they have them open for several hours and saving as they go. However when the document has been inactive for some time whilst in Edit mode (usually when the staff member goes to lunch) the user goes to return to the doc which has checked itself back in minus the changes, we are usually able to rescue the work performed. As this is the case we promote the use of the Check Out option for items that are worked upon for long periods of time and to use Edit only for short quick changes.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello

So it looks like you have the same issue as I am seeing.

What version of TRIM/RM/CM are you on?

Also when the document checked-in did you find anything in the application event log.

We  found this error consistently which matches the time the document was checked-in.

The description for Event ID 100 from source TRIMWatcher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

[22787] Error detected in a operation on a container file. Details : Cannot open the container file 'C:\Users\UserLogin\Documents\Offline Records (RC)\Folder - Document.DOCX'.

Advisor

Hi Joshua,

We are currently running RM 8.3.0.9088 and will be upgrading to CM9 in the future.

I cant say that I have seen your info in my app event log.

Cheers,

Darren

Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I am not sure if we've had a similar issue to you or not. This is one of those instances where an end user has clicked through error messages/pop-ups hoping for the best so I don't have a lot of information but i figured I'd flag it here just in case.

They were half way through editing a report when it apparently checked itself back in and came up with a pop up window saying that everything was copied into their clipboard. When they have opened up a new document and hit paste, everything appeared in the new document and they've gone about their merry way.

I am skeptical that it was/is a CM9 issue, and this is the first time anything of the sort has come up since we upgraded back in December. I am inclined to think it is a user or Microsoft issue but thought I may as well mentioned it.

~*~
Current Build: 9.0.3.353
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event