Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Excessive time taken to open electronic documents in TRIM

Esteemed Contributor

Excessive time taken to open electronic documents in TRIM

I had a post in the previous TRIM forum (which i note is still going) Why two active forums?

It can be viewed here.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1274839818870+28353475&threadId=1334022

Anyway...

The post was about the issue of TRIM taking far too long to open large documents from the document store. When I say large, I mean around 50 Mb and over.

I am re activating this post because according to the latest SPER for 6.2.5 it says that the issue has been addressed

34081 Document transfer performance appears to have a hard limit in TRIM 6.2.X

Fixed: Documents are now transferring at an increased speed.

This is a pretty vague statement but it does match the CRID number I have.

My question is, what has been done to fix the problem?

In my early testing I still find that opening a 50 Mb image takes about 1 minute. There is little of no difference between 6.2.5 and 6.2.2.

This is still too slow for an enterprise EDMS!

Josh

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Excessive time taken to open electronic documents in TRIM

Funny you brought this up.

I just tested this again on Tuesday as a result of some other testing I was doing...

The transfer speed is slightly faster in my test environment compared to older builds, but it is minimal at best.

I am going to re-raise this with R&D after I complete some more thorough testing.

I found TRIM was transferring at around 40Mb/s, are you able to confirm if you get similar results?

(This was on a Gb/s network connection that was not under any load where a Windows File Transfer ran at around 100-150Mb/sec, which could have gone much faster if it wasn't for some slow HDD's)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Esteemed Contributor

Ok

I have done some more testing and I have some interesting results.

In our 6.2.2 production environment is takes about 2min 30secs to view a 120MB PDF.

I found that by changing the TRIMLocalAppData key from H drive to local drive (default) the speed was dramatically improved. It was down to 1min 20secs for the same document.

Using a 6.2.5 client, the same 120Mb document takes 1min 30secs to open when the users’ localapppdata key is pointing to H drive and only 40 secs when on C:

So there are two results that I can see.

1. 6.2.5 does improve the opening of large documents (up to a minute faster for the document above)

2. Even in 6.2.2, simply changing the TRIMlocalAppdata key to local drive doubles performance.

Given the immediate performance improvements it seems we would get with simply changing the TRIMLocal Appdata key to be local drive, is there any reason why we shouldn’t make this change?

What values do others have for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\DataPaths\TRIMLocalAppData?

Josh

Honored Contributor

That makes sense.

That is the location of the client cache, so the document would be transfered to the cache and then to the user.

Good to see that the controlled test showed a doubling in speed!

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event