Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HP RM8 - Byte Order Mark Formatting for Dataport

Regular Advisor

HP RM8 - Byte Order Mark Formatting for Dataport

Has anyone come across problems with formatting their source (dataport)  import file for HPRM8? - have the following attached error indicating BOM for valid text encoding stopping the import

HPRM8 build 6703 Windows 7 Office 2013 and Office 2010

6 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: HP RM8 - Byte Order Mark Formatting for Dataport

Barrington,

Yes, I have also run into this issue with Data Port. I tried re-creating the import file but was unable to get it to work. Strange since the text file was generated from a Print Merge of Locations from my Demo DB. 

I had to manually create the Locations instead of being able to import them as nothing I tried resolved the Byte error. :-(

The reference to the Help file did not provide any useful information either.

Probably should have submitted a Helpdesk ticket, but was under a tight deadline for a demo to users, so I pressed on and forgot about it until your post.

What Object Type were you trying to Import?

Would love to hear from others if they have been able to troubleshoot/resolve this issue or if HP has marked it as a known issue?

Regards,

Tamara

HPE Expert

Sounds like there could be a problem, better off getting this one logged up with the helpdesk so we can inbvestigate further

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Advisor

This BOM issue is ringing a bell.  I was using 7.2 for an import and kept getting a complaint about the Byte Order Mark being an issue.

There are a few options when you start using double byte character sets and I cannot remember which combination was the answer.  I used Notepad++ to convert between the formats.  When you open a text file in Notepad++ the encoding is indicated by a dot.

To find the format that is acceptable, perform an export and open it in Notepad++. I have looked at an export from 7.1 and it was in ANSI and  not UTF-8.

Please let us know what the winning encoding is and also what you are exporting from, Excel 2010 perhaps?

--------------------------------

John Hartley - The Electric Pen

Regular Advisor

Hi Tamara -

was trying to import a record as per the previous Trim Port procedure using a text file - as the HP RM8 dataport is a fairly critical activity I'll be logging this with the help desk

Regards

We've seen the same issue in Dataport (8.0.1.6703)

It seems it wont accept ANSI format txt and only UTF-8.

Our successful steps:

Open the import file in Notepad.

'Save as' and select UTF-8 from the encoding option menu.

[ Edited ]

We've seen the same issue in Dataport RM8.0.1.6703

It seems DataPort doesnt like ANSI format txt only UTF-8.

Had success by:

Open import file in Notepad

Save as, with encoding menu option set to UTF-8.

Retry the import.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event