Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HPE RM8.3 - Slow navigation between ribbons and CPU spikes

Advisor

HPE RM8.3 - Slow navigation between ribbons and CPU spikes

Hi everyone,

We are currently testing HPE Record manager version 8.3.0.9231 (32bit) on Windows 10 64-bit. During testing when navigating between the different ribbons (e.g. Home, Search, View etc), the first time each ribbon is clicked after launching the application, it is extremely slow to load the ribbon. For example, when I open HPE RM, the Home ribbon is visible. If I try to click the Search ribbon, It takes around 5 seconds for it to load, and during this time, the CPU spikes to 100%. This happens on all ribbons.

After you have clicked the ribbon once, the slowness doesn't occur again when you click the ribbon a subsequent time - it is only on the first load of each ribbon. This happened on both a Surface pro and a virtual machine. The HPE records manager Microsoft runtimes for VS2010 and VS2013 are both installed, as is .NET 4.6.0138 that comes natively with Windows 10.

Has anyone else experienced this?

11 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: HPE RM8.3 - Slow navigation between ribbons and CPU spikes

Hi, I have not experienced this particular case. When you say that issues is happening at the  first time clicks on the Ribbon, do you mean first time of every session (when you start HPRM Client every time and click for the first time it is slow)?  

Do you have your %APPDATA%  / Profile on some file share?  What is the setting for your Client side cache? Ribbon and other client UI settings are part of Global Settings, do you have globals set? What is your get global setting (Lock down, User session etc).

I have not experienced this situation before, however alot of client side performance issues are due to mixture of Network File share hosting the User profiles on the slower disks including Offline folders and slow connectivity between DataSet which is partially hosting the Globals. 

Cheers,
Harry
HPE Expert

Interesting issue, haven't noticed anything like that in my testing VM's.

Have you tested against RM 64bit?

The profile question brought up earlier is something to consider, roaming profiles can have these funny issues pop up. Have you tested with other accounts?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Advisor

Hi Harry,

The issue happens the first time of every session - i.e., everytime you start HPRM.

We are using local profiles so unfortunately probably not a profile issue.

Can you tell me where I can find the Client side cache settings?

Also, are you able to tell me how we load all global configuration from local settings rather than from the dataset?  Wondering if this is the issue.

Thanks for your help!
Paul

Advisor

Hi Greg,

Yep, tested with multiple accounts and PCs, all profiles are local.  I am going to test with the x64 RM client but we can't go to this anyway as we are running 32bit MS Office.

Cheers

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To check the global settings you can find (login as Administator to HPRM) , from Administration Menu Ribbon - Systems - Misc Tab there is something called Locked Down Setting which has a Drop down. You can have a look at to see if you have defined to Lock the Global or Session level Lock. That means every time user login they will automatically get the Global again and gets refreshed.

For the Client Cache, you can also find it under the Object Cache Tab.

BTW: For profile, please check to ensure with your IT Windows / AD Administrator that the profile local folders are NOT alias or Mapped / Forwarded folders.  Usually we do that for applications which can ony write to local AppData Folders. Something to be sure and confirm.

Cheers,
Harry
Advisor

Thanks Harry,

Looks like we are using no lock down.  As a test we actually went into HP RM Offline mode to see if it still happened, and it does.

I've confirmed 100% everything with our windows profiles is local.  On the suggestion of someone else, we uninstalled the virus scanner to see if it changed anything but no luck.

Going to work on installing the x64 version today, but if you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,
Paul

Respected Contributor

Certainly it is strange with Windows 10 in the picture, can your Admin check on the OS Windows 10 itself what process spikes up the CPU. Its hard to believe that it would be anything from Ribbon. That will narrow down the focus area. With Windows10 has its own fany tracking and all sorts of NOT required gadgets. I will not be surprised if it is something to do with Windows10 itself.

You can check couple of things ....

Remote Desktop to the Server (Workgroup server itself), Start the Client first with the RM Admin account or even with your own Admin acct (please get the same Ribbon if its a part of Global, being an Admin you need to go to Options and Click GetGlobal button). Now also start the Windows Task Manager and go to Performance Tab (leave it open for the test).

Click on the Ribbon to see the behaviour, if it is same as of your Experience on Windows 10? If it does not happen on the server itself, now , use the Same User who has the issue on Windows 10 (you would need to give Remote Desktop access or ask the Admin who is not RM Admin to login to the Server as RDP user. usually System Admin are not RM Admin it should be ok to test).

Repeat the same test to confirm the behaviour. It may not solve the issue but certainly give you a clear indication if it is related to RM or Windows 10.

Cheers,
Harry
Advisor

That is a good idea - I remoted on to the workgroup server which is a Windows 2012 server machine and it does the exact same thing! Logged on with same account etc and got same behavior, so got one of the other admins to login, and he also got the same behavior.

It is definitely Trim.exe causing the spike (and so does TrimDesktop.exe).  I've also monitored with process explorer to see if any other exe's / dll's are being called, and it seems there isn't.  And as far as I can tell, process monitor seems to only be accessing registry keys when you navigate between ribbons, but I haven't looked at the procmon out put too thoroughly yet.

Starting to wonder if this occuring with the ribbon is a bit of a red-herring: Trim.exe uses 100% CPU when it starts (not sure if this is normal), and I just noticed that if you click the very top left corner (where the Restore, Move, Size... etc menu is), it also causes a CPU spike. So weird.

Definitely appears to be related to RM at this point, but running out of ideas where to troubleshoot as it seems it's only us having this issue - can't find anything on the knowledge base or elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

Tested on Windows 7 with 8.3..0.9231 and it's not 5 seconds, but 2 seconds at most, but it laggs too much and doesn't feel `snappy`.

When monitoring trim.exe with Process Monitor, I see no file access at all that could cause the delay, it's pure CPU.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Advisor

The specs document doesn't list CPU requirements from memory, but our physical machines are surface pro 4 i7 2.20ghz.  I know these aren't power houses but surely the app shouldn't be using 100% cpu just to navigate a ribbon.  Whether it's 2 seconds, 5 seconds or something inbetween, I know our userbase will likely complain. I'm surprised that if it actually is happening to other people as your testing suggests it must be, that it hasn't been reported elsewhere.

Advisor

Any thoughts on whether you think this issue might be caused by misconfiguration, hardware issues, or possibly an issue with the client?

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event