Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to add records of document record type to Hold?

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Frequent Advisor

How to add records of document record type to Hold?

Hi all,

When I right click on a folder in TRIM Context, I'm able to find 'Add to Hold' menu under Administrative tools menu. But when i do the same on a record of document record type, to my surprise I'm not finding 'Add to Hold' menu. 

Can any one of you tell me whether it is by design or do i need to modify some properties in the record type? FYI, I'm using TRIM version 6.24.

My client requirement is to add each individual record to hold whenever they think that they want to retain this record and prevent deletion.

5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: How to add records of document record type to Hold?

Hi venkat

Go to Tools, Record, Record Types and then open up the properties of the record type in question.  Then go to the MENU tab.  That lists all the functions available for a record type.  It's possible that "Add to Hold" isn't selected.

However, my question to you is:

Is the client wanting this function just for a temporary hold to prevent deletion or are they trying to use it to denote their permanent records? 

Frequent Advisor

Hi TRIMGuru,

'Add to Hold' is already selected for that record type. Still it is not showing for me under Administrative tools.

Btw, my client wants to look at the features of TRIM and wants to know how to prevent deletion both permanently and temporarily.

Honored Contributor

Ok, I don't have v6 installed, I have v7 installed.

In version 7, I can go into Tools, then the admininstrator system options, and in there I have a Misc tab that has an option for "Allow records that are within a Container to be added to Holds".

I can't remember in v6 Tools, Administrator - System Options, exactly where that is.  But see if you can find it and see if it's selected.  IF it isn't, select it.

For Permanent Records, your client should be using the Retention Schedule within TRIM (assuming their Records Retention Schedule(s) were imported), and then utilizing "triggers" to make a record "Permanent".

Frequent Advisor

Thanks TRIMGuru..

Btw, I don't have enough knowledge in using retention schedules. Though I have TRIM help file, they are not easy to understand. Can you provide URLs to articles that tells more about the retention and disposition?

Honored Contributor

Hi back venkat,

Setting up Record Retention Schedules in TRIM as well as deploying a methodical approach to record's archiving for your client is not something that can be "relayed" here.  You'll need the support of your client's Records Managment staff, and someone who is pretty familiar with TRIM, it's configuration, and how to utilize all aspect's of TRIM's approach to archiving.

TRIM is "known" for it's record's archiving capabilities, and it's certifications that it holds for it.  This would not be just a simple "turn on some selections" in TRIM to do this.