Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to prevent end users from changing / connecting to different datasets

Occasional Advisor

How to prevent end users from changing / connecting to different datasets

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a way to stop users from being able to bring up the "File>Open Dataset" menu? I was thinking maybe it could be done in the registry?

We have a training environment and I would like to stop users who have higher privileges in our production dataset from being able to connect to it whilst using specific training workstations, theoretically locking them to the training dataset whilst using these training workstations.

Any ideas would be great.

Many thanks

7 REPLIES
Advisor

Re: How to prevent end users from changing / connecting to different datasets

Hi,

the only thing I can think of is if you're using those machines soley as training machines to remove the live dataset so they only have the training/demo DB to select from. On your toolbar select File, Open Dataset, select the live DB and click remove.

Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the post.

The problem is that I don't want users (including the trainers) to be able to go back into "File>Open Dataset" and add the production dataset back in again.  Cheers

Advisor

Ah ok, well I'm not aware that you can do that without removing their TRIM access all together :smileysad: Good question though, will be interesting to see if anyone else has a solution.

Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

You cannot prevent users from changing datasets. You can however make it harder and remove the menu option from the File menu. But then users can still double-click the dataset in the statusbar and change dataset anyway and trainers will probably know how to restore the menu item.

For training we have separate domain accounts. This way, we can properly separate production from training so people don't accidentally register production data in training and play in production.

You can go even further by putting training in a separate VLAN only accessable from the training room or virtual desktop, at least that's how we choose to separate UAT and development datasets from production.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Sander,

Yes we do have seperate domain accounts for training. Trouble is we can't always stop the trainers logging in to the laptops using their own domain accounts. What I might end up doing is to deny login of their own domain accounts on the training laptops using group policy, forcing them to use the trainer accounts we have setup.

Thanks again for the advise.

Valued Contributor

Provided you knew that the users already had the dataset configured for them, you might be able to use a logon script on the training computers to restrict access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\Datasets in the registry.  You might be able to deny create subkey access to prevent them from adding new datasets in their list to choose from, as it would have to manipulate this registry key.  However, if they haven't used Trim before, TrimAutoDeploy (or whichever Trim executable it is that populates this registry information if it doesn't exist for the current user) might have trouble applying the default dataset configuration.

HPE Expert

Not a bad idea restricting the registry access...but I don't think it would stop a user changing to a different dataset once TRIM's open. I think it will only stop the newly opened dataset's details being stored in the registry for next time they run TRIM.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event