Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to prevent end users from deleting renditions?

Esteemed Contributor

How to prevent end users from deleting renditions?

Hi

Simple question. How do you prevent end users from deleting a rendition? In particular I am concerned with preventing end users from deleting long term renditions created automatically through TRIM render.

4 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: How to prevent end users from deleting renditions?

Yeah it's a good question and I don't think there's currently a way to prevent this when configuring via the standard TRIM interface.

For the record, there is an enhancement request in the system to add this functionality:

QCCR2D43674 - Add permission (and active audit log item) to protect a document rendition from being deleted.

Perhaps it'd make sense to tie this ability to the "Document delete/purge" user permission and the "Update Document" record access control list instead of creating yet another record access permission? I.e. a user must have both before they can delete a rendition. That would prevent end users doing it.

Perhaps one of the TRIM implementers out there has already thought of a way to handle this in the interim? Perhaps with a record add-in?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Esteemed Contributor

This seems a big oversight particularly in regards to the TRIM rendering module. I am not confident in having TRIM render automatically create long-term renditions of all of our documents if end users can come along simply delete them with no audit activity. I will request an update on this enhancement request.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember spending some time a while back on this (as I hate people deleting stuff)

Deleting a rendtion will result in presave method being fired when the object is saved (when you exit properties and click on 'ok')

So in PreSave get the uris of the child renditions (current) Crucially These will be the uris after the rendition is deleted.

Then get the record from the database and get the uris of its child renditions.(original)

If the number of uris in the modifed object (current) is less then the number in the original, a rendition is being deleted. Other wise compare them to verify the original uris are still in the modifed object (as you could add 2 renditions and delete 2 in the same 'save')

One thing that would be nice if someone is looking in to this at HP is if the offline audit log had this information in the details. Adding or deleting a rendition only generates an object modified event. (I would prefer a seperate RenditionAdded, RenditionModified and RenditionDeleted event)

HPE Expert

Joshua Hutley wrote:

This seems a big oversight particularly in regards to the TRIM rendering module. I am not confident in having TRIM render automatically create long-term renditions of all of our documents if end users can come along simply delete them with no audit activity. I will request an update on this enhancement request.

Probably was an oversight - renditions were only ever thought of as a copy of the primary record in a different format - more so for convenience rather than anything else. I'd say no one at HP considered deleting a rendition such a bad thing because you could always recreate the rendition (which I guess you still can).

Deleting the primary record is logged in the audit log of course, as it should be. Deleting a rendition? More an inconvenience isn't it? I wonder if TRIM Render would just recreate the PDF rendition automatically if configured appropriately? I haven't played with it for a while so I forget what the actual selection options are. Might be worth looking into that in the interim.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/