Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Indexing pdf documents (TRIM 6.2)

Valued Contributor

Indexing pdf documents (TRIM 6.2)

Hi,

I work in a  print and file environment however we are about to start scanning contracts to pdf and register them in TRIM Context 6.2 in pdf format.

I'm wondering, does TRIM index the contents of a scanned pdf? If so, is this standard or do we need a separate licence?

Regards

Jack24

6 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Indexing pdf documents (TRIM 6.2)

Hi jack

You will need to scan them as PDF + text if you want the ISYS engine (so you need to have that TRIM module) to index the contents.

I've found many scanners don't have this as an option and had to purchase an additional module for our software to allow it (we use Kofax).

Cheers

Michael

Valued Contributor

Hi Michael,

By PDF + text do you mean convert the pdf file to a text file after scanning, or do you mean scan the document as both a .pdf file and a .txt file?

Cheers

Jack

Advisor

You will need to ensure your printer/scanner is an OCR scanner to use the Content Indexing in TRIM as far as I am aware. There is software out there you can install on your scanner if it is not an OCR scanner, some free some not. One of the software programs you can purchase and we are currently looking at are ezescan....if anyone has any feedback on ezescan I'd love to hear from you! :smileysurprised:)

Honored Contributor

Also be aware of a PDF text layer issue we found some time ago.

Newer versions of Adobe seem to represent text like "this is a test" as "thisisatest" (notice the lack of spaces between words) which makes it useless for indexing.

Just try opening a PDF document and copy and past all text to notepad to see if your documents are affected. Opening the PDF in version 8 instead of 9 will show this difference, but the ISYS engine is also affected with no cure yet as far as I know.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by Hewlett Packard Enterprise.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
HPE Enterprise Services
Honored Contributor

Most all scanners come with the ability to scan "OCR", it's just a selection or preference you need to make in the scanner software.  Be aware that this will be a slower scan versus just scanning the document as an "image".

Sanders, ty for that info, I certainly wasn't aware of that...

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Much appreciated. :robothappy: