Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MIssing Electronic Douments

Regular Advisor

MIssing Electronic Douments

I have posted about this sometime ago, however, it went stale and I was not able to resolve the issue.  I have since looked over the issue again and would like to see If I can get some help resolving this issue.

I have a number of records primarliy .mbx files, when you try and open them an error is returned 'Details of the Document Store with identifier '0' could not be found in the dataset'.  However if you search the document store manually I can find the .mbx file in this location ..\store\CO\7\00

When looking through the mbx files in Trim it appears that if there are attachements to the mbx file then Trim cannot find the mbx file and throws the above error message.  However if the mbx file has no attachments then there is no issue with Trim finding the mbx file and opening it.  If you try searching for the attachments in Trim manually then you can find them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: MIssing Electronic Documents

The MBX/VMBX files have any attachments hardcoded into the mbx/vmbx file, just under the email header info.

This means that if the store details ever change, e.g. move from FTP to NTFS store, the mbx's etc will still look for the FTP store for the attachments, even if it has all been moved across.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Regular Advisor

As far as I know the store(s) were never accessed using FTP.  However there were multiple stores created and some time ago they have been merged into one store.  This is what has caused the problem, however during the process there weren't any errors displayed and it all seemed to go smoothly.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, that will do it as well, I was just using FTP > NTFS as an example.

Same will happen moving from NTFS store 1, store 2 all merged into NTFS store 3.  etc...

Not sure why it wasn't seen earlier in your environment though.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Honored Contributor

How were the stores moved?  Do you know?

Regular Advisor

The stores were moved via a Trim client.

ie Tools > Context Administration > Document Stores

right click on the store and select Transfer Documents, choose the destination store etc

Given this situation, what is the recommended way to move .mbx records with attachments between stores?

How do I fix this issue?

Honored Contributor

My apologies, but I don't know how to fix the issue.  My BEST recommendation would be to tell you to submit a support request to HP - I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Regular Advisor

I have raised a support request with HP.  Hopefully they can find a solution.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is a 'fix' for this...   :smileysad:

The best option here is prevention.

The information is stored in the actual vmbx body, which is basically a text file.

To 'fix' it, you would need to script some intelligent find/replace on the attachment text to fix the store reference numbers etc...

Possible, but not easy. Not something HP support will be able to provide unfortunately.

EDIT:  Give me some time to look into it. Busy this week, but if I can find the time I'll setup some tests to replicate the issue and see what I an figure out about altering the vmbx files or possibly database side solutions.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Regular Advisor

I just want to clarify something.  Is it documented anywhere that if you move records from one document store to another (both stores being standard NTFS (ie network SMB/CIFS file shares) not FTP stores) that .mbx files with attachments will break the linkage?

In other words, did I do something wrong by moving records between documents stores?

HPE Expert

Re: MIssing Electronic Douments

Are you using TRIM 6.2.5? Seems it has a problem reading the MBX e-mail attachments.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Regular Advisor

The version I am using is Trim 6R2 SP4 build 1240.

Honored Contributor

Chum wrote:

I just want to clarify something.  Is it documented anywhere that if you move records from one document store to another (both stores being standard NTFS (ie network SMB/CIFS file shares) not FTP stores) that .mbx files with attachments will break the linkage?

In other words, did I do something wrong by moving records between documents stores?

Nothing you have done wrong.

I have seen this with a few sites now and I have an open support case from another business partner asking about this, so will hopefully have an answer on it next week.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Trusted Contributor

Hi Guys,

Coming in a bit late on this...

This is very concerning.  How many sites out there do you think might have moved document stores around as part of ICT maintenance? Quite a few I think...

Grundy is the issue limited to moving via the client side tools only? or is a simple NTFS move also a trigger?

Chris Mcklaren

Cheers,
Chris Mcklaren
Honored Contributor

The issue would occur with any movement of documents where the store ID changes.

If you move documents in the back-end without actually changing document stores in TRIM or the store structure, then it will be ok.

Still, I need to test all this to be sure of the extent of the problem, if it even is still a problem. (The last time I looked at and test this was earlier 6.2's I think, maybe even 6.1.x)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Honored Contributor

Just an update on this.

This issue will only affect older mbx/vmbx files where we had the store reference hardcoded in the mbx/vmbx text.

The new way we store attachments in vmbx files does not have this issue, because we directly encode the attachment into the vmbx file.

So consider this 'fixed' in newer versions. (6.2. and greater and I think the later 6.1s as well)

However OLD emails will still have this issue. Just confirming the extent of the issue.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event