Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MS Outlook 2010 Linked folders lost after upgrade to win 10 MS office 2016

Valued Contributor

MS Outlook 2010 Linked folders lost after upgrade to win 10 MS office 2016

Hi,

HPE RM8.3 9231 , MS Office 2010, WIn 7,  ... Testing the upgrade of OS from Win 7 to Win 10 and Office 2010 t0 2016.

I just find out that MS Outlook 2010 Linked folders are lost after "IN PLACE" upgrade to win 10 MS office 2016 from Win 7 and MS Office 2010 .... I have the screenshots of windows registries then and now, it clearly shows that registies are not kept. Not sure when the losing of windows registries happened as the upgrade to Win 10 done by IT has been done in 2 phases: Upgrade the MS Office to 2016 in WIn 7 and then the second phase is the upgrade of Windows 7 OS to Win 10.

What could be done here regarding this upgrade so that users can keep their linked folders in MS Outlook?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: MS Outlook 2010 Linked folders lost after upgrade to win 10 MS office 2016

The reg keys for linked folders are kept in the Outlook hive, so when it upgraded those keys will be lost. It's an Outlook thing, not an RM thing.
You might be able to do something tricky with a registry export and then import to recreate the new keys, but you would need to test it first I've never tried it myself.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Valued Contributor

Well, thanks for that info.

I was proposing to the IT team to prepare the export of the whole HP TRIM set of Win7 registry and then somehow "programatically" do the "double click" and import them to Win10 registries ....

But, still confused, this is the screenshot of windows registries compared ....

They are in HP TRIM "hive', right?

Regards

trimforumcompareregistriesTRIMinwin7andwin10on21feb2017.jpg

Occasional Advisor

In a previous windows related upgrade we asked users to "Export" their linked folder settings using the functionality under

Outlook> TRIM/RM ADDIN> Manage>  Rightclick Export>Tag all links >Export  and then reimport the settings from the file in their outlook following the upgrade.

Is this not still an option, or not appropriate due to issues of scale and users? 

Valued Contributor

Thanks Angie,

the second option: not appropriate ....

couple of 1000 users .. not so keen to do this extra steps that we advised them to do anyway in all previous HP TRIM RM upgrades (export TIO file - linked folders settings file) .....

In this case it is an MS office and Windows upgrade ... so perhaps, this time they should/must do it...

P.S.

The barcode scanner settings/details are gone too, not sure why, they are surely TRIM related, no relations to MS Office upgrade .... ?

forumwin10testingsecondpcinobarcodescannersettingsdetails22feb2017.jpg

This is going to be a very interesting upgrade

Regards

Valued Contributor

Just to let you know;

This morning I exported the windows registries from current user software, Hewlett - P - HP TRIM - MS Outlook Addin on my normal win 7 PC machine to my desktop; then the same windows registries are "double clicked on" on the desktop on my testing win 10 pc machine ; then i restarted that win 10 PC and after loging on it, the linked folders are there (in MS Outlook - TAB Records Manager - button MANAGE) and thay are functional ...... tested - saving an email.

So, the solution is there... wondering if the same could be done for Barcode SCanners, list of DATASETS etc ....

still testing other features...

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event