Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Managing Locations to reflect restructure of organisation business units and positions.

Advisor

Managing Locations to reflect restructure of organisation business units and positions.

Our organisation is undergoing a huge restructure which means the Locations table organisations and associated positions do not reflect the new hierarchy. If I rename the location I lose the previous structure but if I copy the location and its associations how do I ensure that the access to  historic document/folders etc. are not inaccessible.

Appreciate any suggestions

1 REPLY
Honored Contributor

Re: Managing Locations to reflect restructure of organisation business units and positions.

Hi

You will probably find you will have to do a mix of renaming and copying, plus creating some new ones and deactivating old ones. The hardest part will be identifing which files belong to which org units (and associated assignments to positions).

Once you get down in the weeds you will probably find organisational units/positions in the old structure that are now two (or more) organisational units/positions in the new one. You can rename one and create a new one for the other, but then you have the issue of which files should be owned and assigned to which origanisational unit, changing assignee, owner, home and access controls..

Similarly you will find an organisational units/positions in the new structure you cover the functions of two or more units/positions in the old structure, so one can be renamed and the others deactivated and the records moved.

You will probably find organisational untis that don't match either of the above, partial splits and mergers.

In this case you will need to identify the files with those business units and reasign them.

You will also need to updated saved searches that refer to organisational units/poisitions

I would be modling the new structure in a test database and letting the users verify they can see the the files they should see (and not the files they shouldn't see).

If you can do it progressively that may help.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event