Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Not urgent - Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3 to RM 8, how complex is it?

Frequent Advisor

Not urgent - Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3 to RM 8, how complex is it?

In short:

How complicated, how major the upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3 to RM 8 is?

(We do not have TRIM & SharePoint Integration yet)

In regards to this potential upgrade, my concerns are:

Client upgrade

Server Upgrade

Control Point?

We do have IDOL server running fine)

Hardware configuration/changes

Integration to other applications?

What else is involved here?

So, is it so complex so much that is almost better to do some new product? (Somebody asked me this question exactly like this).

Is anyone on RM8 yet? What are the experiences?

What is new in RM8 that we do not have in TRIM 7.3.3, how different is the system in total?

Is the interface different (les complex as some users are findind HP TRIM interface)?

How complex this transition could be?

Anyone?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Not urgent - Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3 to RM 8, how complex is it?

A lot of ground to cover in this one post, the strongest answer here is having a thorough read of the attached documents:

RM8 Install - runs over the installation process and also has a section regarding upgrading from different versions and also IDOL

RM8 fixes - lists the issues that have been resolved

RM8 release notes - details the changes made to RM8 including new features and enhancements 

RM 8 Spec - documentation that will identify supported applications 

If you have any more specific questions let me know.

Attached is the documentation for RM 8 build 6335, if you are planning on installing another build you will need to download from SSO and review the documentation that comes with that build.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Frequent Advisor

Thanks , I will.

Then I can provide proper recomendation.

In the meantime, I will analyse these docs and compare all features

Regards

We recently did an upgrade all the way from 7.1 Build 1879 to RM 8 and to alleviate some of your concerns the upgrade went very well.  

Obviously there was a schema upgrade that needed to be performed on all datasets.  As well any Saved Searches your users had before the upgrade need to be recreated due to the background changes with searching. 

Upgrading the clients was no trouble at all, but we created a totally new server for RM 8 away from our current 7.1 server so I couldn't comment on if an in place server upgrade will bring any unexpected results.  

Also worth pointing out, because we came from 7.1 with the ISYS content engine and went to IDOL, we had the luxury of a clean IDOL install.  In your case where you seem to have tweaked the IDOL configuration to your liking, I'd would certainly backup all CFG files associated with it to ensure the upgrade doesn't wipe them out.  From what I understand though, RM 8 indexer works more efficiently then previous versions so your current settings may be more than adequate anyway.

I hope this helps.

Frequent Advisor

Thank you all, especially TheRealJerjef!

Very useful information.

I am slowly prearing a case for this.

once again, thanks.

Cheers

Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Interested to hear that 7.1 to RM 8 upgrade went smoothly - especially on fresh kit.

Query I have is did you use VM environment or physical - always had impression that IDOL was so resource hungry that VM was difficult, but in recent conversation with HP they have said that VM setup was OK, but may need some re-configuration for best performance.

Cheers 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The confusion around IDOL performance is due to how you configure the backend hardware if using a VM.

A VM is perfectly capable of running IDOL, however it's the hard drive performance that determines how well it runs.

Typically a VM is assigned hard drive space from a pool of drives on a SAN or RAID on the physical server.

This is great for hard drive use efficiency and cost efficiency, but performance is shared across however many VMs are running on those physical disks.

You only get cost efficiency when running many VMs on a few large drives, so this is a typical configuration.

IDOL requires a certain level of drive performance to get through a large reindex within a reasonable timeframe and with minimal errors, so you cannot rely on the model above where the virtual hard drive is sharing a physical disk with many other VMs.

You need to be able to dedicate a physical disk for each IDOL Content Engine, but you can still virtualise the operating system and applications.

So yes IDOL can run in a VM, and yes it requires a certain level of physical resources to run well. Both answers you have heard are correct, but they are missing some important points.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event